An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Certification of Laboratories for Drinking Water

Becoming a Certified Cryptosporidium Laboratory or State Certification Officer for Drinking Water

On this page:

Instructions for laboratories

Laboratories wishing to support Cryptosporidium monitoring under the Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment (LT2) Rule need to:

  • Send your request and laboratory contact information to your regional drinking water laboratory certification program contact
  • Successfully participate in proficiency testing events for each approved method for which you are seeking certification
  • Successfully pass an audit by a qualified certification officer or technical expert from a:
    • State program
    • EPA regional program
    • Third party supporting a state or regional certification program

Top of Page

Instructions for states

States interested in integrating Cryptosporidium laboratory approval into their certification program should:

  • Contact your regional drinking water laboratory certification program contact
  • Indicate your interest and request participation in EPA’s next certification officer training course
  • Familiarize yourself with the laboratory certification manual
  • Successfully participate in Cryptosporidium certification officer training
  • Demonstrate to your EPA Region that you have an appropriate program for the oversight of Cryptosporidium laboratories (that is, a program that addresses the key concepts from the Laboratory Certification Manual)

Top of Page

EPA regional drinking water laboratory certification program contacts

EPA has ten regional offices, each of which is responsible for several states and territories. To get information about your Region, select the number for your Region on the map. If you want contacts for your state or territory, select your state or territory from the drop down list below.

Top of Page