EnviroAtlas Data Organization
Ecosystem Services and Biodiversity
Ecosystem Services and Biodiversity data are first separated according to whether they are National or EnviroAtlas Community data. The data are then further organized into one of 22 topics to help guide users to the data they are interested in:
The data layers in the Ecosystem Services and Biodiversity menu also have one or more assigned ecosystem service benefit categories to indicate their linkages to the supply, demand, and drivers of change associated with ecosystem services. Learn more.
People and Built Spaces
This menu contains data related to the built environment with separate sections for demographics for the National and Community components.
- Community Demographics: For selected communities included in the community component of EnviroAtlas, demographic data are available by census block group. These data are from the 2010 Census and the 2006-2010 American Community Survey and use the 2010 U.S. Census block group boundaries. Other sources of data are also included.
- Commuting and Walkability: Contains national and community extent data on commuting, travel times, and walkability indicators.
- Employment: Contains national extent data on employment and workers.
- Housing and Facilities: Contains national and community extent data on facilities such as daycare centers and schools, as well as households and residential density.
- National Demographics: Demographic data for the nation are summarized by census tract, and use the 2006-2010 American Community Survey data and the 2010 US Census tract boundaries. Other sources of data are also included.
- Quality of Life: This topic includes metrics on vacancy rates and income thresholds for quality of life. These data are available by census block group for the nation.
Boundaries and Natural Features
- Ecologic Boundaries: Includes GAP Ecological Systems and USEPA Ecoregions
- Hydrologic Features: Includes Hydrologic Unit Code boundaries and labels and the NHD Plus V2 dataset
- Political Boundaries: Includes political boundaries (congressional districts, states, counties, census block groups), EnviroAtlas community boundaries, Landscape Conservation Cooperatives, and USEPA Regions.
Changes over Time
Climate Projections out to 2099 & Historical Climate Data 1950 - 2005
The NASA Earth Exchange (NEX) scientific collaboration platform has made available downscaled CMIP5 climate projections for the conterminous United States with a spatial grid resolution of 800 meters. The EnviroAtlas team has converted these large complex files into a geospatial format and has made them available through two tools in the EnviroAtlas Interactive Map.
EnviroAtlas Ecosystem Service Benefit Categories
The below icons represent the seven Ecosystem Service Benefit Categories in EnviroAtlas. Data layers in the Ecosystem Services and Biodiversity data menu may be linked to one or more of these benefit categories.