Executive Order 13834 Regarding Efficient Federal Operations
Section 1. Policy states that “each agency shall prioritize actions that reduce waste, cut costs, enhance the resilience of Federal infrastructure and operations, and enable more effective accomplishment of its mission.” Sec. 2. Goals for Agencies, part (f) states: “Implement waste prevention and recycling measures and comply with all Federal requirements with regard to solid, hazardous, and toxic waste management and disposal;” By participating in the Federal Green Challenge, facilities can support their agencies in meeting the goals of the President’s Executive Order, Efficient Federal Operations.
This page provides resources intended to assist agencies in meeting the waste prevention and recycling goals of E.O. 13834.
EO 13834 Regarding Efficient Federal Operations
EO 13834 Implementing Instructions
EO 13834- Other Resources
Office of Federal Sustainability website - comprehensive one stop shop, providing the full text of the E.O. and Implementing Instructions, links to official GPO copy, link to the Fact Sheet on WhiteHouse.gov, and links to additional resources for implementation.
Waste Prevention and Recycling Resources
Resources and examples to help agencies make waste management improvements through contracts, measurement and best practices.
- GSA’s National Custodial Specification (December 2012) - Contract specifications including solid waste/trash/recycling management in C.10, recycling and waste reports in C. 11.0 and report calculations in C. 11.1.
- Sample Contract Language for Sustainable Management of Food
- Promoting Excess Food Donation to Nonprofit Organizations - Language on donating surplus food
- Food Service Guidelines for Federal Facilities -Includes a standard for food donation
- U.S. Federal Food Donation Act of 2008 - Specifies procurement contract language for donation of excess wholesome food to eligible nonprofit organizations
- General Services Administration Sustainable Facilities Tool for Cafeteria & Food Service(14 pp, 764 KB, About PDF) - Includes sample solicitation/contract language
- Metrics for Waste Reduction - Includes volume-to-weight conversion factors and tips for estimating waste removal costs
- Business Guide for Reducing Solid Waste
- 2018 Federal Green Challenge Award Winners
- 2019 Federal Green Challenge Award Winners
- GSA’s P100 Facilities Standards for Public Buildings Service (July 2018) - Best practices for a Net Zero Waste building (including 50% recycling rate for construction and demolition (C&D) waste. (See Section 188.8.131.52 and 1.7.22 on page 22.)