An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Fuels Registration, Reporting, and Compliance Help

Register a Fuel or Fuel Additive

Motor vehicle gasoline, motor vehicle diesel fuel, and their additives are required to be registered under 40 CFR Part 79 - Fuel and Fuel Additive Registrations (FFARs).

This page includes instructions for a new registration. Use the following links to update or terminate an existing registration:

Follow these three (3) steps to register a new gasoline fuel, diesel fuel, or fuel additive:

""Determine if the fuel or additive must be registered.

Click this link or the tab above for more information: FFARs guidelines

""Download and complete a registration form.

There are separate forms for fuels and fuel additives.

Fuel Registration

Download and complete:
Use this form for:
  • Motor vehicle diesel fuel (including Grade 1-Diesel, Grade 2-Diesel, biodiesel and renewable diesel)
  • Motor vehicle gasoline (including unleaded and renewable)

Fuel Additive Registration

Download and complete:
Use this form for:
  • Additive for motor vehicle diesel fuel 
  • Additive for motor vehicle gasoline (including ethanol and detergents)

""Mail form to the appropriate address.

All paperwork should be sent to: EPA's Fuels Programs Mailing Addresses