If you answer "No," go to C.2
If you use paint strippers containing methylene chloride, you must meet the following requirements to minimize emissions of methylene chloride:
- Evaluate each application to ensure paint stripping is necessary.
- If paint stripping is necessary, ensure there are no alternative methods or chemicals that can be used.
- Limit evaporation of paint strippers containing methylene chloride.
- Optimize application conditions to reduce evaporation (i.e., if heated, keep heat as low as possible).
- Practice proper storage and disposal of paint strippers.
If you use more than one (1) ton of methylene chloride annually, you must do the following:
- Implement the requirements above.
- Maintain records on site at all times of annual usage of paint strippers containing methylene chloride.
- Develop and implement a written methylene chloride minimization plan. The plan must be kept on site.
- Post a placard or sign outlining the methylene chloride minimization plan in each area where the paint stripping occurs.