GHGRP 2011: Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems
The sector consists of the following industry segments of petroleum and natural gas.
- Onshore petroleum and natural gas production. Onshore production means all well drilling and other equipment used in the onshore production, extraction, recovery, lifting, stabilization, separation or treating of petroleum and natural gas (including condensate).
- Offshore petroleum and natural gas production. Offshore production means any platform structure that is affixed temporarily or permanently to offshore submerged lands and that houses equipment to extract petroleum and natural gas from the ocean or lake floor.
- Onshore natural gas processing. Natural gas processing means the separation of non-methane gases from raw natural gas, or the separation of the non-methane gases and liquids into one or more components.
- Onshore natural gas transmission compression. Onshore natural gas transmission compression means any combination of compressors and associated equipment involved in moving natural gas from production fields or natural gas processing plants through transmission pipelines to natural gas distribution pipelines and storage facilities.
- Underground natural gas storage. Underground natural gas storage means subsurface storage of natural gas, e.g., in depleted gas or oil reservoirs and salt dome caverns.
- Natural gas distribution. Natural gas distribution means the distribution pipelines and metering and regulating equipment that are operated by a Local Distribution Company (LDC) to provide natural gas to residential, commercial, and industrial customers.
- Liquefied natural gas (LNG) storage. LNG storage means onshore LNG storage vessels and associated equipment for liquefying and storing liquefied natural gas above ground and for re-gasification of the liquefied natural gas.
- LNG import and export equipment. LNG import equipment means all onshore or offshore equipment that receives imported LNG via ocean transport, stores LNG, re-gasifies LNG, and delivers re-gasified natural gas to a natural gas transmission or distribution system. LNG export equipment means all onshore or offshore equipment that receives natural gas, liquefies natural gas, stores LNG, and transfers the LNG via ocean transportation to any location, including other locations in the United States.
Reporting year 2011 was the first year process emissions data were collected for this industry sector.
- Total emissions (CO2e) by geologic basin for onshore petroleum and natural gas production facilities
- Total emissions (CO2e) by natural gas utility service territory for natural gas distribution facilities
- Total emissions (CO2e) by facility for industry types: onshore natural gas processing, onshore natural gas transmission compression, underground natural gas storage, liquefied natural gas storage, LNG import and export equipment
- Facility locations for industry types: onshore natural gas processing, onshore natural gas transmission compression, underground natural gas storage, liquefied natural gas storage, LNG import and export equipment
- Total emissions (CO2e) by facility for offshore petroleum and natural gas production
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems: 2011 Data Publication Fact Sheet
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems: 2011 Data Publication FAQs Exit
|Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems Sector — Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reported to the GHGRP
(all emissions values presented in million metric tons CO2e unless otherwise noted)
|Number of facilities:||1,880|
|Total emissions (CO2e):||225|
|Emissions by greenhouse gas (CO2e)|
|• Carbon dioxide (CO2):||142|
|• Methane (CH4):||83|
|• Nitrous oxide (N2O):||1|
|Emissions by industry segment (CO2e)|
|• Onshore Petroleum & Natural Gas Production||94|
|• Offshore Petroleum & Natural Gas Production||6|
|• Natural Gas Processing||62|
|• Natural Gas Transmission/Compression||24|
|• Underground Natural Gas Storage||1|
|• Natural Gas Local Distribution Companies||14|
|• Liquefied Natural Gas Storage||**|
|• Liquefied Natural Gas Imp./Exp. Equipment||0.7|
|• Other Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems||23|
- ** Total reported emissions are less than 0.5 million metric tons CO2e.
- CO2 emissions from the combustion of biomass are NOT included in emissions totals provided above.