GHGRP 2013: Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems
This sector consists of the following industry segments of the petroleum and natural gas industry.
- Onshore Production. Production of petroleum and natural gas associated with onshore production wells and related equipment.
- Offshore Production. Production of petroleum and natural gas from offshore production platforms.
- Natural Gas Processing. Processing of field quality gas to produce pipeline quality natural gas.
- Natural Gas Transmission. Compressor stations used to transfer natural gas through transmission pipelines.
- Underground Natural Gas Storage. Facilities that store natural gas in underground formations.
- Natural Gas Distribution. Distribution systems that deliver natural gas to customers.
- Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) Import/Export. Liquified Natural Gas import and export terminals.
- LNG Storage. Liquified Natural Gas storage equipment.
- Other Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems. Stationary fuel combustion emissions from petroleum and natural gas source categories that are not otherwise listed.
- 2013 Total Reported Direct Emissions from Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems, by Subsector (as of 8/18/14).
|Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems Sector — Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reported to the GHGRP
(all emissions values presented in million metric tons CO2e)
|Number of facilities:||1,913||2,073||2,164|
|Total emissions (CO2e):||223.1||226.4||224.1|
|Emissions by greenhouse gas (CO2e)|
|• Carbon dioxide (CO2):||138.8||146.3||150.0|
|• Methane (CH4):||84.1||80.0||74.0|
|• Nitrous oxide (N2O):||0.2||0.1||0.1|
Totals may not equal sum of individual GHGs due to independent rounding.
CO2 emissions from the combustion of biomass are NOT included in emissions totals provided above.
|Industry Sector||2013 Number of Reporters||2013 Emissions (million metric tons CO2e)|
|Natural Gas Processing||433||59.0|
|Natural Gas Transmission||487||22.7|
|Underground Natural Gas Storage||48||1.3|
|Natural Gas Distribution||173||15.1|
|Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) Import/Export||8||0.4|
|Other Petroleum and Natural Gas Systems||415||24.6|
- Totals may not equal sum of individual GHGs due to independent rounding.
- ** Total reported emissions are less than 0.05 million metric tons CO2e.
- Facility locations and reported emissions (CO2e) for offshore production
- Reported emissions (CO2e) by geologic basin for onshore production facilities.
- Reported emissions (CO2e) by facility for industry types: natural gas processing, natural gas transmission, underground natural gas storage, LNG storage, LNG import/export.
- Facility locations for industry types: natural gas processing, natural gas transmission, underground natural gas storage, LNG storage, LNG import/export
- Reported emissions (CO2e) by natural gas utility service territory for natural gas distribution facilities
- Reported methane emissions (CO2e) for gas well completions and workovers with hydraulic fracturing.