The submission deadline for this RFA has been extended from April 30 to May 29, 2020.
Region 5 Fiscal Year 2020 Request for Applications (RFA) for Sustainable Materials Management Grants.
Funding Opportunity Description
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Region 5 Sustainable Materials Management program is announcing the availability of funds for program support. Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) is a systemic approach to using and reusing materials more productively over their entire lifecycles. It represents a change in how our society thinks about the use of natural resources and environmental protection. By looking at a product's entire life cycle, we can find new opportunities to reduce environmental impacts, conserve resources and reduce costs.
Applicants must address at least one of the following SMM priorities:
- Recycled Plastics and/or Paper Markets in Region 5
Region 5 is requesting applications for projects that contribute to the development, expansion and/or improved understanding of markets in Region 5 states for plastic materials and/or mixed paper used in consumer products or packaging.
- Strategies for Preventing Food Loss and Waste and/or Diverting Wasted Food from Landfills in Region 5
EPA is requesting applications for projects that leverage ongoing state-wide, multi-agency or regional initiatives to implement and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies to prevent wasted food and/or divert wasted food from landfills in Region 5. Projects should build on the principles outlined in the Food Recovery Hierarchy and demonstrate progress to reaching EPA’s 2030 Food Loss and Waste Reduction goal.
These projects benefit states in Region 5. Region 5 includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.
The total estimated funding range for this competitive funding opportunity is between $100,000 and $150,000. EPA Region 5 anticipates funding up to three to four grants and/or cooperative agreements from this announcement, ranging in value from $30,000 to $60,000, contingent upon funding availability, the quality of applications received, and other applicable considerations.
Refer to the full RFA for eligibility, submission requirements and instructions, evaluation criteria, and additional important information.
Informational Call and Questions
EPA R5 will host an informational call to discuss this RFA and respond to questions. Because all questions may not be asked and answered during the scheduled time for the call, questions should be submitted in advance to Susan Vescovi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Phone Call Details
- Date: April 2, 2020 at 2:30 pm Central Time/ 3:30 pm Eastern Time
- Topic: Land, Chemicals and Redevelopment Division, Sustainable Materials Management Request for Applications
- Phone Number: 202-991-0477, conference code 402 0004
Questions and Answers
- Questions and answers will be recorded during the phone call and distributed to interested applicants on this webpage.
- Additional questions will be answered following this phone call.
- The questions and answers will be posted weekly each Friday during the competition at the R5 SMM grant competition website. Updated Q&A posted 4/9/20
- If you would like to submit a question, please contact Susan Vescovi at 312-353-2478 or email@example.com.
- Region 5 FY 2020 Sustainable Materials Management Grant RFA - Revised (PDF)(21 pp, 279 K, April 22, 2020)
- Questions and Answers for R5 FY20 Sustainable Materials Management RFA (PDF) (PDF)(3 pp, 212 K, April 22, 2020)