2019 Great Lakes Areas of Concern Conference, September 11 - 12, 2019, Cleveland, Ohio
Date and TimeWednesday 09/11/2019 8:30AM EDT to Thursday 09/12/2019 12:30PM EDT
Registration DeadlineTuesday 09/03/2019 9:00PM EDT
Overview and Registration
The Annual Meeting of the AOC community provides the opportunity to discuss the work implemented throughout AOCs and to connect with a wide variety of partners to continue making progress toward delisting.
This conference aims to:
- Provide a forum for AOC participants to
- share ideas
- review program status
- showcase successes
- discuss common challenges
- Review recent developments affecting the AOC program including
- the FY2015-19 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Action Plan II, and
- the development and goals of the upcoming GLRI Action Plan III.
- Review and discuss AOC program and project funding mechanisms including process and timing
- Strengthen linkages among federal, tribal, state and local AOC participants
Who should attend
- Representatives of local Public Advisory Councils
- State agency AOC staff members
- Tribal agency AOC representatives
- Federal agency staff involved in implementing the AOC program
- Other AOC stakeholders (e.g., consultants, academics) who have an interest in the AOC Program
- Great Lakes stakeholders looking to collaborate on AOC work
Room blocks have been reserved at two hotels. Discounted room rate is only available until August 19 or until the group block has sold out. Please book your room ASAP to assure your discounted rate.
Please be sure to use group number 2363687 .
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland Downtown-Lakeside EXIT
1111 Lakeside Ave. E
Cleveland, Ohio 44114-1130
Windows on the River is located two miles off I-90 using exit 170A. Shuttles will be provided for transportation between hotels and the conference venue. Please see travel directions below for alternative transportation.
From Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Windows on the River Venue:
- Take I-71 N to Cleveland (8.3 mi)
- Take exit 245 from I-71 N
- Continue on US-42 N/W 25th St. to Windows on the River (2000 Sycamore St, Cleveland, OH 44113)
From Windows on the River to Reserved Hotels:
Both hotels are about a 10-minute drive or a 25-minute walk from the venue in downtown Cleveland. You can take either W St. Clair Ave. or OH-2 E to W Lakeside Ave. Drury Plaza Hotel is on 6th St. just off Lakeside Ave. and the DoubleTree Hilton is on Lakeside Ave.
2019 agenda for details on pre-conference events and an outlined schedule of the conference. Additional details on plenary and breakout sessions to follow. All times are in Eastern Standard Time.
Guidelines for 2019 Great Lakes AOC Conference Poster Session
The poster session will be held on the early evening of September 11 from 5:00-6:30 pm at Windows on the River. Posters will be left up throughout the conference if individuals are unable to attend the evening poster session. Posters should be based upon relevant Areas of Concern work taking place in the Great Lakes Basin.
Suggested poster topics for discussion to finalize could include the following themes:
- Revitalization – economic, ecological, social or other
- Visual information examples that highlight progress and stories of AOCs and the work underway.
- Success Stories – Projects that have occurred at priority AOCs that have led to either AOC delisting and/or BUI removals.
- Showcase of projects that have had a positive impact on the environment and/or led to removing a particular BUI.
- Innovative partnerships working reach AOC goals.
- Research and/or monitoring that have assisted in BUI or Delisting success.
- New approaches to outreach and education that has increased public engagement and led to more successful projects.
- Other relevant AOC topic that would be of interest to conference participants.
- There is space for 30 posters at the conference poster venue.
- If you are interested in submitting a poster, please select "Poster Session Submission" as a registration option during registration.
- Please submit your poster or poster abstract via email to Amy Pelka (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, August 3rd for committee review. If accepted, you will be notified no later than Friday, August 23rd.
- Posters should be a maximum of 2 feet x 3 feet and do not need to mounted on poster board.
- Large foam poster boards, easels and poster clips will be available at the conference site and posters can be clipped onto to the poster boards.
- PDF of each poster will be placed on the conference website in advance of the meeting and will stay on the web site post conference.