Thursday, December 12, 2013
11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (EST)
EPA's Green Power Partnership (GPP) and the Stadium Managers Association (SMA)
On Thursday, December 12, 2013, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (EST), EPA's GPP and the SMA hosted a webinar on "Green Power Use and Opportunities for Sports Teams & Venues." Sports stadiums and venues typically use a great deal of electricity and thus can play a significant role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions by using renewable energy. This webinar examined how and why sports teams and venues use green power, including a review of available product options, benefits of and best practices for procuring renewable energy, and the positive role teams and venues can play in encouraging green power use by fans, peers, and the public.
Webinar participants learned about:
- Green power product and procurement options, and associated costs and benefits.
- How EPA's GPP can help teams and venue managers leverage their green power use to bring positive attention to an organization.
- Lessons learned from the Philadelphia Phillies on incorporating renewable energy use into their operations, and advice for organizations interested in doing the same.
- Brian Mahoney, Director of Advertising, Philadelphia Phillies
- Mollie Lemon, Communications Director, U.S. EPA's Green Power Partnership (PDF)(13 pp, 1 MB)
- Joe Abernathy, President of the Stadium Managers Association and VP of Stadium Operations for the St. Louis Cardinals (PDF)(18 pp, 2 MB)
- Bram Reynolds, General Manager, Facility Services, Citizens Bank Park (PDF)(8 pp, 3 MB)