Green Power Community Benefits
For most municipalities, electricity usage is the single-largest source of greenhouse gas emissions. Your community can benefit from using green power and becoming an EPA Green Power Community (GPC). Benefits include:
- Improved living and community environment
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants
- Demonstrated civic leadership
- Enhanced community image
- Increased citizen pride
To help GPCs take full advantage of these benefits, EPA offers the following support:
Becoming a Green Power Community signifies that your community's commitment meets nationally accepted standards in terms of size, content, and resource base. This allows for you to compare your community's green power commitment to others and increase your community's stakeholders' confidence in your purchase.
EPA actively promotes and recognizes Green Power Communities as environmental leaders. Your community can benefit from EPA's recognition and publicity efforts by:
- Being highlighted on EPA's website
- Using the EPA Green Power Partner mark on marketing materials and websites
- Receiving two Green Power Community signs for outdoor display
- Becoming eligible for additional recognition through EPA's Green Power Leadership Awards Program
Tools and Resources
EPA's tools and resources can be invaluable by:
- Offering relevant and timely answers to procurement questions.
- Assisting with messaging and promoting the concept of green power to your community stakeholders, including press release templates and event banner artwork recognizing the community's achievements.
- Fostering peer exchange opportunities among communities and other Green Power Partners to share information on best practices and new green market opportunities.
- Providing you with a means to estimate the environmental benefits of switching to green power.