Green Power Partnership Program Overview
The EPA Green Power Partnership is helping to build the American green power industry. Current Partners’ green power use represents nearly 40 percent of the U.S. voluntary green power market.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established the Green Power Partnership (GPP) in 2001 to protect human health and the environment by increasing organizations’ voluntary green power use to advance the American market for green power and the development of those renewable electricity sources. The Green Power Partnership helps to achieve Clean Air Act requirements by reducing the pollution and the corresponding negative health and environmental impacts associated with conventional electricity use. Since the inception of the Green Power Partnership, the voluntary market has grown by nearly 5,000 percent. The program provides a framework that includes credible usage benchmarks, market information, technical assistance, and public recognition to companies and other organizations that use green power. In return for technical assistance and recognition, Partners commit to use green power for all, or a portion, of their annual electricity consumption.
As of October 2017, the Partnership has 1,500 Partner organizations voluntarily using billions of kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power annually. Select highlights:
- Green Power Partners are using more than 36 billion kWh of green power annually—equivalent to the same amount of power produced by more than 32,000 football fields covered with solar panels which is equivalent to using enough renewable electricity to power more than 4 million average American households for a year.
- GPP Partners represented 3 percent of total electricity use in the United States in 2016, but accounted for 40 percent of voluntary renewable energy use.
- GPP Partners have contributed significantly to the American renewable energy industry since 2001, which in 2016 supported more than 485,000 jobs in the United States.
- 16 percent of all Fortune 500 Companies and 35 percent of all Fortune 100 Companies partner with EPA’s Green Power Partnership, using nearly 21 billion kWh of green power annually.
- Since its inception with 21 founding Partners, GPP has realized more than 11,000 percent growth in Partners’ green power use; its Partners currently use enough renewable electricity to power more than 3.3 million average American homes for a year (year-end 2016 data).