Proposal to Reduce Ethylene Oxide Emissions from Commercial Sterilization Facilities
On April 11, 2023, EPA proposed new requirements for 86 commercial sterilizers across the country. These requirements, if implemented, will reduce the amount of EtO that comes out of commercial sterilizers by 80 percent and will reduce risk in nearby communities.
- Proposed Air Toxics Rule for EtO Sterilization Facilities - Federal Register Notice
- Submit a comment on the proposed rule for EtO Sterilization Facilities - The comment period closes on June 27, 2023
- Regulatory Impact Analysis for the Proposed NESHAP for Ethylene Oxide Commercial Sterilization and Fumigation Operations (pdf)
- Rule History
- Fact Sheet: Proposal to Strengthen Clean Air Act Standards for Ethylene Oxide Commercial Sterilizers (pdf)
- EtO Public Hearing Registrants - May 2, 2023 (pdf)
- EtO Public Hearing Registrants - May 3, 2023 (pdf)
Learn how to participate in the federal rulemaking process
When EPA publishes a proposed rule, it includes a comment period. The proposed air toxics rule for EtO Sterilizers closes on June 27, 2023. During that time, any person can provide comments to the Agency about any aspect of the proposed regulation.
- Read tips for providing effective comments.
- EPA also has held webinars on Techniques and Skills for Providing Effective Input in the EPA Rulemaking Process. Watch a recording.
- View the webinar slides: April 24, 2019 - Webinar Slides - Effective Input on Rulemaking (pdf)