An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Kalas Manufacturing Plant Four (Formerly: Whittaker Corporation - Trojan Yacht Division) in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

On this page:


Cleanup Status

After removals of contaminated soils and several groundwater investigations at the former Trojan Yacht facility, the final remedy is complete and no further action is required.

The Facility received a release of liability from PADEP through Pennsylvania's Act 2 program on October 28, 2008. EPA's Final Decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls for the facility became effective June 1, 2010.

 
 


 

Top of Page


Site Description

Interactive Map of Kalas Manufacturing Plant Four, Lancaster, Pennsylvania


View larger map
The entire area is zoned industrial and has been an industrialized area since the early 1960s. The Facility covers 26 acres. Land use in the surrounding area is mainly agricultural and industrial. In 1952, Shippen Realty Partners purchased the Site which was originally farmland.  In 1955, Trojan Yacht leased the Site for wooden pleasure boat production. In 1967, Whittaker Corporation, located in Los Angeles, California took over the business. In 1983, Bertram Trojan Incorporated (BTl), a division of Bertrex Corporation based in Miami, Florida, bought the business. In 1988, Bertrex Corporation was purchased by the investment group of G.L. Ohrstromand Company. The construction of the boats began changing from wood to fiberglass in the late 1960's. By the 1980's, only fiberglass boats were produced. The manufacturing of yachts ceased in 1989. The fiberglass processes required the use of toluene, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) peroxide, and acetone.
 
The site was leased to A.H. Hoffman, Inc. from 1995 to 2006. A.H. Hofffman manufactured and processed plant and garden fertilizer. In 2006, the Site was leased to Dean Landis Trucking for storage and maintenance of tractor trailers.

 Top of Page


Contaminants at this Facility

The primary wastes generated by Kaiser included oil sludge from the cupping and hydraulic presses and wastes from the aluminum etching lines. These wastes were drummed and sent off-site for waste neutralization, sedimentation, and disposal. Bonderlube (lube oil) waste was discharged to the Erie city sewer system.

Top of Page


Institutional and Engineering Controls at this Facility

Institutional controls were not required at the site. 

Top of Page


Land Reuse Information at this Facility

The site is being reused.

Top of Page


Site Responsibility at this Facility

Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3.

Top of Page