Hazardous Waste Cleanup: Morgan AM and T (Formerly: Pure Carbon Company) in Coudersport, Pennsylvania
On this page:
- Cleanup Status
- Site Description
- Contaminants at this Facility
- Institutional/Engineer Controls
- Land Reuse
- Site Responsibility
A site visit was conducted at Pure Carbon, in Coudersport, Pennsylvania on April 9, 1997. The purpose of the visit was to gather relevant information to assess current and past environmental impact of Pure Carbon operations. After an extensive review of existing information and the site visit, EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility.
On April 17, 2000, EPA determined that both the Human Exposures and Groundwater Environmental Indicators have been met.
EPA published in a notice in local newspaper detailing the proposed Agency decision of no further corrective action. The forty-five (45) day public comment period ended on October 15, 2001, and no comments were received during that time.
On June 16, 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a Final Determination of Corrective Action Complete without controls, no further corrective action is required at this time at the Pure Carbon Corporation, Coudersport facility.
Interactive map of Morgan AM & T (Formerly: Pure Carbon Company), Coudersport, PAView larger map
The Pure Carbon Company is located on US Route 6 in Coudersport, Pennsylvania. The facility has operated at this 56-acre location since 1958. Pure Carbon is an active manufacturer of mechanical carbon gaskets and seals, and ceramic shielding for motor vehicles. Prior to 1958, the property was farmland.
The facility building is approximately 220, 000 square feet and houses the production, storage, and warehousing functions of the business operations. All hazardous wastes generated by Pure Carbon’s operations are stored less than 90 days on-site before removal to permitted off-sites facilities.
Units and operations that manage wastes at the facility include three settling ponds that were closed in 1990, a small drum storage area, dust collection equipment and a solid waste landfill that received various plant solid waste until it was closed under PADEP oversight in 1992.
The EPA determined that there is no unacceptable human exposure to contamination nor is there any evidence of groundwater contamination caused by the Facility.
There are currently no institutional controls for the Facility.
The facility is under continued use.
Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action activities at this facility have been conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from PADEP.