Links Related to the Indoor Air Quality Building Education and Assessment Model
E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory,
Environmental Energies Technologies Division
Buildings Energy Efficiency Exit
Indoor and Outdoor Energy Efficiency Exit
Phone: (510) 486-6784
Fax: (510) 486-5394
- Provides information on the center's capabilities to assess indoor environments and building systems utilizing the EPA's Building Assessment Evaluation (BASE) protocols. The site offers information and links to other programs concerned with air quality.
- Provides a search engine for numerous information sources including industry standards. UL has five laboratory facilities and numerous Local Engineering Services offices, wholly owned affiliates, international liaison and representative offices.
- Furnishes information on air quality in the state of California, Provides software options, IAQ guidelines and IAQ programs.
California Department of Health Services
Division of Environmental and Occupational Disease Control, Environmental Health Laboratory Branch
California Department of Public Health Healthy Homes Program Exit
Helpline: (510) 981-4354
DHS - Healthy Homes Program Email: AskEHIB@cdph.ca.gov
- Conducts and coordinates research, investigations, experiments, demonstrations, surveys and studies related to the causes, effects, extent, prevention and control of indoor pollution in California. Provides IAQ Info Sheets, reports, other websites, current activities and link to the California Interagency Working Group on Indoor Air Quality.
- Offers information, case studies, software tools for energy-efficient buildings. Provides research results for intelligent building systems and the human factors involved in making smart decisions.
Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Air Resource Management (DARM) Exit
Phone: (850) 488-1554
Fax: (850) 488-7093
- Furnishes information concerning regulations, publications, programs, forms and permitting information for the state of Florida. Conducting a search on IAQ-related topics is possible as well as other air resource issues.
- Promotes better quality of life through improved indoor air quality for the state of Maine. Provides details concerning forums, activities, case studies, databases, education, membership, etc.
National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) Exit
NIST program questions, Public Inquiries Unit: (301) 975-NIST (6478)
TTY: (301) 975-8295
- Works with the industry to develop technology, measurements and standards. Provides links to Standards Laboratories and access to articles on Building Systems and Indoor Air Quality.
U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Exit
Phone: (202) 693-1999
- Users can look up federal standards regarding occupational safety and their interpretations as well as statistic data and technical links.
American Council of Government Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Exit
Phone: (513) 742-6163
Fax: (513) 742-3355
- Offers a number of publications of interest related to indoor air quality and health.
American Council for Accredited Certification (ACAC) formerly American Indoor Air Quality Council (AmIAQC) Exit
Phone: (800) 942-0832 / (623) 582-0832 (Phoenix Area)
Fax: (623) 581-6270
- Promotes awareness, education and certification of IAQ. Certification Courses offered for CIAQC, CIAQI, CMRS, CMI, CMC, CIAQM and CMCA and workshops offered : Basic & Advanced Strategies for Conducting Meaningful Microbial IAQ Investigations and HVAC and Indoor Environment.
- Users can conduct research pertinent to the topic of lung cancer and its various causes. A search on Sick Building Syndrome provides numerous results including information on the symptoms, causes, pollutants such as volatile organic compounds and some solutions to SBS.
- Source of information on occupational and environmental health and safety issues. Services include the AIHA Journal and other scientific links to technical committees and public policy comments on the industrial hygiene.
- Administers and coordinates the U.S. voluntary standardization and conformity assessment system. The Institute's mission is to enhance both the global competitiveness of U.S. business and the U.S. quality of life by promoting and facilitating voluntary consensus standards and conformity assessment systems, and safeguarding their integrity.
Air Conditioning Contractors of America, Inc. (ACCA) Exit
Phone: (703) 575-4477
Fax: (703) 575-4449
- Includes product catalogs, information concerning upcoming conferences, events and certification programs for air conditioning contractors. Additional information and support is provided for the interaction between HVACR contractors, U.S. Congress and other regulatory agencies.
- Provides information ranging from international activities to legislative and regulatory affairs for the air-conditioning and refrigeration manufacturing industry. Includes links to certification programs, consumer information and new releases/articles concerned with HVAC industry.
Air Movement and Control Association International, Inc. (AMCA)
Phone: (847) 394-0150
Fax: (847) 253-0088
- Trade association of manufacturers of air movement and control equipment including fans, louvers, dampers and related air systems equipment. Provides member services, publications, technical specifications, seminars and meetings.
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE) Exit
Phone: (404) 636-8400
Fax: (404) 321-5478
- Provides information about the organization itself and the services provided; as well as links to technical resources for conducting research pertinent to heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration. Members of ASHRAE can access the members only link to gain support and member benefits from the organization.
Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) Exit
Phone: (202) 872-5955
Fax: (202) 872-9354
- Provides a trade menu that supplies informative links to search publications, standards and statistics. Provides quick excerpts on the latest news in the appliance industry and associated topics.
- AHAM also provides information on air cleaners on their AHAM-certified Clean Air Delivery Rate site.
- Provides access to "how-to" guidebooks and information-packed publications along with membership options and industry research and office building performance data. Provides links to special interest groups and information concerning BOMA events like The Office Building Show.
- Info/links to ISIAQ, IAQ/IEQ information links, Indoor Environment Division EPA, Lawrence Berkely Laboratory research programs, CMHC, CMHC Discussion Group, BOMA, ASHRAE proposed standards and CPSC.
Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI) Exit
Phone: (800) 267-2231 or (905) 602-4700
Fax: (905) 602-1197
- Promotes exchange of indoor environmental information through education and research. Lists events, offers IAQ courses and certification and information concerning the organization and its members.
International Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate (ISIAQ) Exit
c/o Finnish Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate
Phone: +358 9 4355 5612 Fax: +358 9 4355 5655
- An organization of international scientists and practitioners that "support the creation of healthy, comfortable and productivity-encouraging indoor environments". Provides information about ISIAQ, its members, activities, news and meetings concerning IAQ, available publications, events and other links.
- Furnishes technical seminars and download capabilities such as Commercial Specifications for the Air Duct Cleaners Industry. Access to NADCA publications and equipment suppliers are available.
- Provides information related to the sale, service and manufacture of air filtration products. Search engines provides the opportunity to search for topics specific to air filtration.
- Provides information concerning occupational safety and health in the workplace, education/training, consulting services and technical resources. Tools include a bibliographical listing about Sick Buildings.
Occupational Health and Safety Research Institute (IRSST) Exit
Phone: (514) 288-1551
Fax: (514) 288-7636
- The Occupational Health and Safety Research Institute (IRSST), located in Montreal (QC), Canada, carries out scientific activities concentrated in seven research fields: accidents, chemical substances and biological agents, musculoskeletal disorders, noise and vibration, protective equipment, occupational rehabilitation, safety of industrial tools, machines and processes. More information about the Institute and its research activities, as well as about 1000 research reports are available for free download.
- Primary mission is to provide information on indoor air quality and health. The site is a virtual interactive library of IAQ information focusing on schools, homes and office buildings, but has information on other environments.
- Carnegie Mellon University conducts research, demonstration and teaching in building performance and diagnostics, including the application of technology, for improved energy efficiency, environmental performance and occupant satisfaction.
- The Collaborative for High Performance Schools facilitates the design of high performance school environments that are not only energy efficient, but also healthy, comfortable, well lit and contain the amenities needed for a quality education. While the focus is on schools, the site contains an extensive guide for best practices with information relevant for all types of buildings.
- Contracting Business Magazine. This site is dedicated to the Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Industry (HVACR) as well as to the consuming public.
International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP)
- This document discusses procedures to quantify energy conservation measure (ECM) performance and energy savings in buildings. An appendix covering indoor environmental issues has also been developed.
- Download a Printable version of the December 1997 protocols (DOE/EE-0157)
National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI) Exit
Phone: (610) 933-4241
Fax: (650) 429-2057 (fax)
- The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors is a non-profit organization helping home inspectors achieve financial success and maintain inspection excellence.
National HVAC Consultants, Ltd.
- Provides online help for Business Owners recommending system approaches to IAQ. Explores IAQ problems and their solutions through interactive examples.
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Guidelines on Assessment and Remediation of Fungi in Indoor Environments Exit
- This document revises and expands the original guidelines to include all fungi (mold). It is based both on a review of the literature regarding fungi and on comments obtained by a review panel consisting of experts in the fields of microbiology and health sciences. It is intended for use by building engineers and management, but is available for general distribution to anyone concerned about fungal contamination, such as environmental consultants, health professionals or the general public.
- For further information regarding this document please contact the New York City Department of Health at (212) 788-4290 / 4288.
- Environmental and Natural Resources - Provides specific links/research concerning Indoor/Ambient Air Quality; and the ability to perform a search on the RTI site. Topics include VOC emissions, surface cleaning research and asbestos testing.