An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.


Lead-Based Paint Activities Professionals

General Information
Certification and Training
Notification Requirements

General Information

What kind of work is covered by lead-based paint activity regulations?

Lead-based paint regulations apply to inspection, risk assessment, project design and abatement activities in pre-1978 target housing and child-occupied facilities (but not to renovation, repair and painting projects).

Who administers the lead-based paint activities program?

EPA administers the lead-based paint program only in areas where states, territories or tribes are not authorized by EPA to operate their own lead abatement programs. The states administered by EPA include: Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming. In addition, EPA administers the lead-based paint program in the territories of American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, and U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as most Tribal Lands.

All other states have EPA-authorized lead-based paint programs. Additionally, the Cherokee Nation, Lower Sioux Nation, Upper Sioux Community, and Bois Forte Band have EPA-authorized lead-based paint programs. Below are links to the authorized lead-based paint programs.

Lead-Paint Abatement Programs Authorized by EPA

Certification and Training

How do you find an accredited training provider in areas administered by EPA?

Finding an accredited training provider is the first step in getting certified. Use this searchable database to help locate accredited training programs in areas where EPA administers the lead-based paint activities program or contact the National Lead Information Center at 1 800 424 LEAD(5323)

How does an individual or firm apply to be certified to do lead-based paint inspection, assessment and/or abatement in areas administered by EPA?

Note: Remember, there are two types of required certifications – certified individuals must work for certified firms when performing lead-based paint activities.

Notification Requirements

When do I have to notify EPA about abatement activities?

A certified firm must notify EPA at least 5 business days prior to conducting lead-based paint abatement activities, with one exception. When abatement activities are required in response to either an Elevated Blood Lead Level determination or emergency abatement order, notice must be provided no later than the day abatement activities begins.

In addition, the firm must notify EPA of any of the following changes to the original notice:

  • If the abatement activity will begin before the original start date, or if the location changes, notice must be provided at least 5 business days before the start date.
  • If the abatement activity is delayed, notice of the new start date must be provided to EPA on or before the original start date.
  • For cancelation or other changes, notice must be provided on or before the start date, or, if work has already begun, within 24 hours of the change.

What is required in each abatement notification?

  • Notification type (original, updated, cancelation);
  • Date when abatement activities will start;
  • Date when abatement activities are expected to end;
  • Firm's name, EPA certification number, address, phone number;
  • Type of building;
  • Property name (if applicable);
  • Property address, including apartment or unit number;
  • Documentation showing evidence of an EBL determination or a copy of the Federal/State/Tribal/Local emergency abatement order (if applicable);
  • Name and EPA certification number of the project supervisor;
  • Approximate square footage/acreage to be abated;
  • Brief description of the abatement activities being performed; and
  • Name, title, and signature of the representative of the certified firm who prepared the notification.

How are these notifications submitted?

Notice can be submitted in any of the following ways:

  • Electronically using the Agency's Central Data Exchange (CDX). If you’re not already using CDX you’ll need to register first.
  • By fax to 202 566 0471
  • By mail to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, LBP Notification, P.O. Box 14417, Washington, DC 20044-4417
  • By commercial or hand delivery to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, LBP Notification, 1201 Constitution Avenue, NW [EPA East 5115M], Washington, DC 20460

Are there sample forms that I can use?

Yes, a sample form is available to facilitate the notification process. This form is fillable and can be completed at your computer, or printed and completed by hand. Other forms are also acceptable if all of the required information is included.