Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Rule (Section 1018 of Title X)
This requires that potential buyers and renters of housing built prior to 1978 receive certain information about lead and lead hazards in the residence prior to becoming obligated to buy or rent, and provides the opportunity for an independent lead inspection for buyers. Sellers, landlords, and agents are responsible for compliance.
- Title: Lead; Requirements for Disclosure of Known Lead-Based Paint and/or Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Housing (Section 1018 of Title X) (PDF) (March 6, 1996)
- Tracking numbers:
- Docket number: OPPTS-62130A; FRL-5347-9
- RIN: 2070-AC75
- Current phase: Final Rule Published (in effect)
Does this regulation apply to me?
Before ratification of a contract for housing sale or lease, sellers and landlords must disclose any known information concerning potential lead-based paint hazards and available records, must provide purchasers and lessees with a lead hazard information pamphlet and must include specific language in the lease or contract related to lead. In addition, sellers must give buyers time to conduct a lead inspection. Most private housing, public housing, federally-owned housing and housing receiving federal assistance built prior to 1978 are affected by this rule.
Read the Interpretive Guidance for the Real Estate Community on the Requirements for Disclosure of Information Concerning Lead-Based Paint in Housing.
How do I comply?
Learn about your responsibilities under this regulation.
The rule became fully effective on December 6, 1996.
Get the Basics
- Fact Sheet: Disclosure of Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Housing (PDF)
- Questions and Answers on the EPA/HUD Disclosure Rule (PDF)
- Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home (PDF) pamphlet available in English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Chinese, Russian, Somali and Vietnamese language formats.
If you did not receive the disclosure of information on lead-based Paint or lead-based paint hazards form when you bought or leased pre-1978 housing, report this environmental violation. If you are a property seller or lessor, make sure you have the correct materials to comply with this important regulation:
- Sample Form: Lessor's Disclosure of Information on Lead-Based Paint and/or Lead-Based Paint Hazards (PDF)
- Sample Form: Seller's Disclosure of Information on Lead-Based Paint and/or Lead-Based Paint Hazards (PDF)
History of the Regulation
Proposed Rule — Lead; Proposed Requirements for Disclosure of Information Concerning Lead-Based Paint in Housing