We’ve made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

ORD/NHEERL/Western Ecology Division Library Services

The Western Ecology Division (WED) is one of four ecological effects divisions of the National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory. The four divisions are distributed bio-geographically. WED's mission is 1) to provide EPA with national scientific leadership for terrestrial and regional-scale ecology, and 2) to develop the scientific basis for assessing the condition of aquatic resources and their response to natural and anthropogenic stresses.

WED's research approach comprises two aspects: 1) developing an understanding of the structure and function of ecological systems, and 2) conducting analyses of ecological phenomena at the ecosystem, landscape, and regional scales. Key scientific disciplines include: terrestrial and aquatic (freshwater and marine) ecology, landscape ecology, wildlife biology, plant physiology, biotechnology, toxicology, biogeochemistry, oceanography, geography, multivariate, geospatial statistics, and ecological risk assessment.

The WED Library is a research library that supports the information needs of the Division's scientists, managers, and contractors.

Contact Information

The library is open to the public by appointment. We are located at:
200 SW 35th Street
Corvallis, OR 97333

We can be contacted at:
Phone: (541) 754-4731
Fax: (541) 754-4799

Mailing Address:
US Environmental Protection Agency
200 SW 35th Street
Corvallis, OR 97333

Hours of Operation
The library is open from 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM, Monday through Thursday, excluding federal holidays.

Borrowing Policy and Interlibrary Loans

Borrowing privileges are generally limited to WED staff and other libraries. The public must arrange for interlibrary loans to be requested by their libraries. To locate EPA library and repository materials, you can search the EPA National Library Catalog. If you have any questions, please call or e-mail the library.

Information For Other Libraries: We freely share materials with other libraries via the OCLC Interlibrary Loan system. Our OCLC symbol is ESB and we are members of FEDL (Federal Libraries and Information Centers) and LVIS (Libraries Very Interested in Sharing). For libraries that do not have OCLC access, we accept requests by telephone, e-mail, or faxed ALA ILL form.