The Forum on Environmental Measurements (FEM or Forum) was established by the Agency's Science and Technology Policy Council (STPC) to promote consistency and consensus within EPA on measurement, monitoring, and laboratory science issues. To fulfill this purpose, the FEM makes recommendations to STPC on basic principles to guide the Agency's measurement community in:
- Validating and disseminating methods for sample collection and for biological, chemical, radiological and toxicological analysis
- Developing measurements that are scientifically rigorous, statistically sound and representative
- Employing quality systems approaches that ensure that the data gathered and used by the Agency are of known and documented quality
- Promoting development and use of innovative technologies to generate, transmit, compile and utilize monitoring data and information to aid decision making
The FEM also provides EPA and the public with a central point for addressing measurement methodology issues with multi-program impact.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- FEM Charter (PDF)(3 pp, 33 K, 06/28/2013)