We've made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Administration of the NPDES Stormwater Permit Program in New England

In New England, the NPDES Stormwater Permit Program is administered by state government in Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont ("authorized states") or by EPA, in partnership with the states, in Massachusetts and New Hampshire ("non-authorized states"). Therefore, for detailed information regarding implementation of the stormwater program in a particular state, click on its corresponding link or contact the lead staff person directly.

EPA Contacts

Regional Stormwater Coordinator
Thelma Murphy (murphy.thelma@epa.gov), 617-918-1615

MS4 Program
Newton Tedder (tedder.newton@epa.gov), 617-918-1038

Construction General Permit (CGP) Program
Suzanne Warner (warner.suzanne@epa.gov), 617-918-1383

Industrial/Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) Program
Dave Gray (gray.davidj@epa.gov), 617-918-1577

Residual Designation Authority (RDA) Permitting – Upper Charles River Basin
Mark Voorhees (voorhees.mark@epa.gov), 617-918-1537

State Contacts


Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
Water Permitting and Enforcement Division
Bureau of Water Management and Compliance Assurance

Chris Stone (chris.stone@ct.gov), 860-424-3850


Maine Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Land and Water Quality

Maine Stormwater Think Blue

David Ladd (david.ladd@state.me.us), 207-287-5404


Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
Division of Watershed Management

Frederick Civian (Frederick.Civian@state.ma.us), 617-292-5821

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Jeff Andrews (Jeff.Andrews@des.nh.gov), (603) 271-2984
Public Information and Permitting Office, (603) 271-2975

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
Water Resources - Permitting

Margarita Chatterton (margarita.chatterton@dem.ri.gov), 401-222-4700 x 7605


Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Watershed Management

Padraic Monks (padraic.monks@state.us.vt), 802-490-6169

National Contacts

EPA National TMDL and Stormwater