Darby Duck, the Aquatic Crusader - Critter Scope
Did you ever wonder what life is like under water?
Well now is your chance to find out where different insects and their larvae or nymphs live in a stream. The critter scope is an exploring tool that can peek into the lifestyles of the wet and wiggly world.
- a can opener
- a clean coffee can or large juice can
- waterproof tape or duct tape
- clear plastic wrap
- a large and strong rubber band
- Carefully remove both ends of the can and cover sharp edges with tape.
- Place plastic wrap around one end of the can, leaving about one inch extra around the edge.
- Put a rubber band around the can and plastic to keep the plastic wrap tight.
- Cut excess plastic wrap away and put tape over the rubber band and plastic wrap.
- Take your critter scope for a test run in a sink. Look through the open end and place the closed end (the one with the plastic on it) in the water.
- Now you are able to visit the wet and wiggly world of a stream.
Note: You might want to try using a clear plastic cover from a fast food salad as a critter scope too!