Assisting People with Limited English Proficiency
On August 11, 2000, President Clinton signed Executive Order 13166 entitled, "Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency." The Executive Order requires Federal agencies to examine the services they provide, identify any need for services to those with limited English proficiency (LEP), and develop and implement a system to provide those services so LEP persons can have meaningful access to them. The Executive Order also requires that the Federal agencies work to ensure that recipients of Federal financial assistance provide meaningful access to their LEP applicants and beneficiaries.
In compliance with Executive Order 13166, EPA is charged with:
- drafting Title VI guidance to set forth a general outline for EPA financial assistance recipients to apply in developing guidelines to provide meaningful access to LEP persons who participate in their programs and activities; and
- drafting and implementing an internal Agency LEP plan by which LEP persons can have meaningful access to EPA programs.
On June 25, 2004, the EPA Office of Civil Rights issued a Policy Guidance Document entitled, "Guidance to Environmental Protection Agency Financial Assistance Recipients Regarding Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination Affecting Limited English Proficient Persons" for public comment. Since no comments were received, EPA's LEP Recipient Guidance is now final. EPA is currently developing its draft internal LEP plan.
Guidance and Materials for EPA and its Recipients
- Executive Order 13166 -- "Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency" (PDF)
- EPA Order 1000.32, "Compliance with Executive Order 13166: Improving Access to Services to Persons with Limitied English Proficiency" (PDF)
- "Guidance to Environmental Protection Agency Financial Assistance Recipients Regarding Title VI Prohibition Against National Origin Discrimination Affecting Limited English Proficient Persons" as published in the Federal Register on June 25, 2004.
- LEP.gov -- a federal interagency website providing guidance and linking to information, tools, and technical assistance regarding limited English proficiency and language access for federal agencies, recipients of federal funds, users of federal programs and federally assisted programs, and others.