Trans-Federal Workshop on Extreme Events, Environmental Health, and the Elderly: Scientific Evidence, Cultural Considerations, and Sustainable Solutions
Date and Time
12:30 pm - 8:00 pm EDT
EPA William Jefferson Clinton East
1301 Constitution Ave NW, Room 1153 – The Map Room
Washington, DC 20229
The word "elderly" in this workshop reflects the high regard and respect for the life-long experience and wisdom of Tribal elders and elders from other cultures.
This workshop focuses on the effects of environmental changes such as extreme weather and manmade disasters on aging populations. Given the broad interests of the participating federal agencies in diverse environmental health issues in vulnerable populations, workshop topics incorporate a variety of elder population groups including:
- Tribal respect for elderly and how a changing environment is effecting maintenance of culture through intergenerational transmission;
- African American culture related to respect for elderly, faith, and resilience;
- Latino and Asian traditional vs assimilated cultural attitudes about elderly;
- Low income, rural, and remote population concerns; and
- Low income, vulnerable coastal urban population concerns (this would include riverine and lacustrine/lakeside communities as well as marine/oceanside communities).
This workshop will feature top academic researchers and representatives of elder population groups and community organizations on environmental, cultural, and societal perspectives of aging issues, while providing knowledge to advance scientific research on how the environment impacts aging populations. Discussions will also help to develop and implement sustainable solutions for building proper resiliency and protecting environmental health.
Participating federal agencies include EPA, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institute on Aging, Indian Health Services, Centers for Disease Control, and HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary.
Pre-registration is required to participate in this workshop via our webinar. You must register for each day separately by using the links below.
Individuals with disabilities who need accomodation to participate in this webinar should contact Kerri Voelker at voice telephone (919) 794-4710 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. TTY users should contact the Federal TTY Relay Service at 800-877-4710. Requests should be made at least 5 days in advance of the event.
This event was organized by:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
National Institute of Environmental Sciences (NIEHS)
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary (HHS)
Indian Health Service (IHS)
National Institute of Aging (NIA)
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- EEE Workshop Agenda (PDF)(3 pp, 125 K, 11/8/2018)