Notice of Proposed Information Collection Request Regarding Clean Water Act Hazardous Substances and Spill Impacts
On September 21, 2017, EPA published a request for public comment on a proposed information collection request (ICR) (82 FR 44178). The proposed ICR, “Survey on Clean Water Act (CWA) Hazardous Substance and Spill Impacts,” was a voluntary survey sent to states, tribes, and territories of the United States. The ICR requested information on:
- number and type of Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) Tier II facilities with CWA hazardous substances onsite,
- historical discharges of CWA hazardous substances,
- ecological and human health impacts of those discharges, and
- existing state and tribal programs that address spill prevention of hazardous substances.
The information collected helped determine the facilities that could be subject to spill prevention regulations for hazardous substances listed at 40 CFR Part 116. It will also helped to:
- inform the rulemaking process,
- identify affected entities,
- evaluate potential regulatory approaches, and
- estimate economic impacts.
Comments on the proposed ICR had to be submitted on or before November 20, 2017.