An official website of the United States government.

We've made some changes to If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Chemical Management Regulation for Healthy Schools

Report an environmental violation

Report possible violations of environmental laws and regulations.

On this page:

Why It's Important

  • Hazardous wastes need to be managed from their initial creation until their ultimate disposal, known as "cradle to grave."
  • Some chemicals purchased by schools may need to be managed as hazardous wastes and require proper disposal.
  • Following federal, state and local regulations on chemical management can help schools avoid preventable environmental, health and safety issues.

Top of Page

What You Can Do

  • In addition to following federal regulations, contact your state environmental agency for state or local regulations and guidance.
  • The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires all schools that generate hazardous wastes to notify their state environmental agency and obtain an EPA Identification Number for tracking disposal of school wastes. See EPA’s RCRA Laws and Regulations.


EPA and Federal Partners

National Organizations

  • Environmental Health Legislation Database Exit by the National Conference of State Legislatures includes summaries of state legislation on topics such as air quality, asbestos, lead, mercury, pesticides, radon, water and more. The database is searchable by keyword, year, state, topic and citation.

Top of Page