State, Local and Tribal Resources for Creating Healthy Schools
Below is a list of various state, local and tribal efforts to create healthy school environments..The following links exit the site Exit
State and Local Resources
- California Sustainable Schools by the California’s Division of the State Architect provides resources to help schools create high performance educational facilities to ensure the optimal health and productivity of students and faculty.
- Florida (Brevard County) Public Schools Office of Environmental Health and Safety describes efforts of the custodial services team and presents tools and resources on topics such as asbestos, fire safety, hazardous materials, indoor air quality, integrated pest management, sanitation and more.
- Illinois Greening Schools is a joint project of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and the Illinois Waste Management and Research Center which offers free technical assistance; workshops for teachers, administrators and facility managers; and online resources related to pollution prevention for all Illinois schools.
- Illinois Healthy Schools for Healthy Learning offers a Schoolhouse Tour to explore environmental health in classrooms and other school locations relating to indoor environmental quality, pests and chemical management.
- Massachusetts (Burlington) Beginner's Guide to Reviewing EHS Issues at Your School by the Burlington (Massachusetts) Board of Health identifies 25 important items to consider when initiating an environmental, health and safety (EHS) assessment.
- Massachusetts School Building Authority Green Schools offers materials to encourage school districts to construct or renovate school buildings that will cost less to operate and provide healthier learning environments for students.
- Michigan's Healthy School Action Tools provides an online assessment tool to examine issues such as asthma, nutrition, physical activity, tobacco use, violence and injury prevention, and social and emotional health, as well as a toolkit to create a healthier school environment.
- New York State Education Department Office of Facilities Planning provides resources on environmental and occupational safety and health issues affecting school facilities.
- Oklahoma School Health Program provides leadership and coordination for preventive health and safety services to children and families through collaborative partnerships with other state agencies and organizations, including services such as policy and standards development, technical assistance, assessment, outreach, training and resource provision.
- Oregon Green Schools: School Resources by the Oregon Green Schools Association helps principals, custodians, teachers, students, parents, kitchen staff, site councils, classified staff or school volunteers who are working on improving the health and livability of their school environment. Tools include audit and assessment materials, calculators, a glossary, lesson plans, field trip guides, activity books and a newsletter.
- Washington State School Environmental Health and Safety by the Washington State Department of Health provides information on consultation, technical assistance and training for local health jurisdictions, schools and parent groups on school health and safety issues such as biological issues, contaminants, indoor air quality, student health, safety and more.
Also see: Topics in School Environmental Health: Overview of State Laws by the Environmental Law Institute provides information about how state policies have addressed several school indoor environmental quality issues—mold, radon, carbon monoxide, integrated pest management, vehicle idling, green cleaning, IAQ and renovations, and IAQ management plans.
- Clean, Green and Healthy Tribal Schools Video Series. EPA's indoor air quality videos.