Affordable Housing and Smart Growth: Making the Connection (2001) provides case studies of towns, cities, and states that have linked smart growth with affordable housing. Featured policies and approaches include:
- Reuse of vacant properties and land.
- Flexible land use policies
- Regional fair-share housing agreements.
- The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit.
- Increased affordability through reduced transportation costs.
- The federal HOPE VI program to construct mixed-income housing.
- Community land trusts.
The approaches represent a range of options for public, private, and nonprofit organizations to consider as they pursue smart growth and work toward affordable housing goals in their communities.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Affordable Housing and Smart Growth (PDF)(57 pp, 2 MB)