Making a Visible Difference in Communities: Virginia
Newport News, VA
Building upon previous assistance provided through a grant to the Southeast CARE Coalition, EPA is working to empower Newport News with technical assistance and information to support community and municipal stakeholders.
Examples of EPA technical assistance include:
- green infrastructure planning for schools
- building resilience and adapting to climate change
- conducting air quality sampling and helping to develop collaborative partnerships and local capacity.
EPA is also supporting a collaborative research project to help the local stakeholders understand and reduce cumulative risks from toxic pollutant exposure.
Making a Visible Difference in Communities Home
EPA is engaging with the city and communities of Norfolk to build community and infrastructure capacity to adapt to the effects of climate change, improve water quality and enhance quality of life in neighborhoods.
- assessing brownfields for potential redevelopment
- incorporating green infrastructure into stormwater management to reduce pollution and flooding
- using scientific tools to gain a better understanding of the environmental and socio-economic impacts of ports on the surrounding community.