New Jersey Future developed this scorecard, Smart Growth Scorecard: Municipal Review (2002), to help residents and decision makers determine whether a community is "growing smart." It also helps a community determine if the correct tools are available to help ensure that growth and development are beneficial to all members of the community.
The scorecard includes a series of questions in seven smart growth categories. Many of the questions are New Jersey specific. Communities outside of New Jersey would benefit from the basic strategy outlined in the scorecard, but it should be adjusted to reflect the policies of a community's state regulatory landscape.
- Issue categories:
- Municipal planning profile
- Development near existing development
- Range of housing options
- Mix of uses
- Choices for getting around
- Protects open space
- Respectful of community character
- Number of questions: 37
- Scale of each rated component: Varies from 1 - 3, with weighted values
- Summary score: Yes, letter grades from A to F.
See more scorecards to help evaluate municipal-level policies, specific projects, and community components on EPA's Smart Growth Scorecards page.You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Smart Growth Scorecard: Municipal Review (PDF)(4 pp, 391 K)