SmartWay Affiliate Challenge Honorees
SmartWay Affiliates represent nonprofit organizations such as trade and professional associations, nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions, and governmental agencies, and tractor/ trailer dealerships and leasing companies.
This year’s honorees were selected through a competitive process based on accomplishments in the areas of SmartWay outreach, enrollment, collaboration, and the promotion of efficient freight supply chain practices.
2017 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge Honorees
Click on the honoree names to view descriptions of their activities.
- American Trucking Associations (ATA)
- Briefed newly installed state trucking association executives about SmartWay strategies, resulting in increased participation from this important sector.
- Worked with Transport Topics, an industry trade publication, to prominently feature the SmartWay brand on 11 different occasions.
- Collaborated with international trucking associations, such as the Japanese Trucking Association, as well as the Saudi Arabian government, encouraging them to learn more about the mission and goals of SmartWay.
- Advanced freight efficiency policies through diverse outside stakeholders.
- Colorado Motor Carriers Association (CMCA)
- Used SmartWay criteria in a statewide awards program recognizing companies that have made substantial contributions to reducing emissions and improving energy efficiency.
- Provided direct assistance to smaller trucking fleets as they prepare and submit their applications to become SmartWay Partners.
- Educated the oil and gas industry in the Colorado area on the cost-saving benefits of being a SmartWay Partner.
- Educated and informed several state legislators about the benefits of developing a preference in state contract awards for freight and delivery service companies that demonstrate good sustainability practices.
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
- Participated in a video segment on “Retail Freight Sustainability in North America,” which emphasized the value of the SmartWay program and efficient freight supply chain strategies for businesses.
- Highlighted efficient freight supply chain strategies targeted to EDF businesses partners on the Green Freight website.
- Discussed and encouraged the expansion of clean air funding for ports and freight facilities in Texas.
- Incorporated components of the SmartWay program and sustainable freight logistics into EDF’s Climate Corps program.
- International Sanitary Supply Association (ISSA) in partnership with Sustainability Dashboard Tools, LLC
- Used SmartWay tools and strategies with members (small- to medium-sized cleaning product distributors) to save money by improving fleet operating efficiency and reducing the associated costs.
- Used SmartWay strategies as a core component for an educational best practice series targeted to improving fleet efficiency.
- Worked with members and effective third-party avenues to better understand the process of collecting necessary data for the SmartWay Truck Carrier Emissions Tracking Tool.
- Regularly highlighted SmartWay strategies through press releases, news articles, and social media.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Air Management Association (MARAMA)
- As a new SmartWay Affiliate in the Ozone Transport Region, MARAMA partnered with EPA Region 3 and the Mid-Atlantic Diesel Collaborative to educate its member agencies on SmartWay participation benefits.
- Organized a SmartWay panel discussion at the Diesel Collaborative 10th Anniversary Meeting.
- Provided materials about SmartWay verified technologies to partners in dray truck replacement programs. Created a Spanish-language application for this program to better serve the Philadelphia-Wilmington ports.
- Worked closely with the Port of Virginia and helped enroll a small carrier serving the Port.
- North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG)
- Implemented the Clean Fleets North Texas program, which provides funding for SmartWay designated vehicle replacement and SmartWay verified technology replacement projects. Companies selected for funding must adopt a clean fleet policy, agreeing to reduce fleet emissions by implementing idle reduction strategies.
- Leveraged SmartWay educational materials, such as the introductory video, fact sheets, and technology bulletins, through the Saving Money and Reducing Truck Emissions (SMARTE) Program.
- Developed a network of vendors in the region that offer SmartWay verified technologies, resulting in increased sales as a result of SMARTE outreach.
- Began the process of partnering with a local truck driver training school by sharing information on SmartWay technology and other fuel efficiency programs.
- Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P.
- Educated and introduced customers to SmartWay, resulting in the enrollment of three new carriers into the partnership in the United States and Canada.
- Assisted customers with modeling and tool completion, helping them to establish fuel economy and emissions benchmarking.
- Attended and presented SmartWay strategies at sustainability conferences and other transportation industry events.
- Completed a SmartWay tractor logo campaign for a customer, resulting in 78 tractors qualifying for the SmartWay designated logo.
- Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA)
- As part of SGIA’s webinar series, SGIA highlighted SmartWay strategies and sustainable goods movement.
- Published two articles in print industry trade publications focusing on ways businesses in the print industry can improve the sustainability of their shipping operations.
- Educated members about the benefits of enrolling in SmartWay by placing instructive materials on the SGIA website and using promotional materials at meetings; as a result, one member enrolled in the partnership.
- Partnered with the Sustainable Green Printing Partnership, a certification program for printers. Encouraged members to incorporate SmartWay strategies into their facilities as a way to improve sustainability efforts.
- Wisconsin Clean Cities
- Conducted educational webinars for members focused on incorporating sustainable goods movement into their operations.
- Promoted clean diesel practices and sustainability with the Wisconsin State Energy Office.
- Discussed and encouraged the use of SmartWay strategies on the Wisconsin Clean Cities website and various social media platforms.
- Collaborated with other clean city coalitions to host a conference in which participants discussed efficient fleet practices and fuel-efficient technologies.