SmartWay Multimodal Carrier Tools and Resources
This page contains the tools, guidance, and best practice information you need to get the most out of the SmartWay Program as a registered SmartWay Multimodal Carrier.
SmartWay Multimodal Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Multimodal Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to make sure your data is in the EPA partner database when your shippers and logistics companies are looking for you.
If you are responsible for annual updates and fleet improvement strategies, bookmark this page for your convenience. This page contains all up-to-date SmartWay Multimodal Carrier information.
What would you like to do?
Multimodal Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also provides additional guidance and worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- Download the Multimodal Carrier Tool (2018 Data Year) (XLSM)(12 MB, June 2019) Save this file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data--Do not send the example tool.
- Example (Filled In) Multi Modal Tool for 2018 Data Year (XLSM)(12 MB, June 2019) Save this file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information--Use the "Multimodal Carrier Tool" above for your official data submission.
Multimodal Tool User Guides
This page includes all documents supporting the use of the SmartWay Multimodal tool in the 2018 data year.
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are available in the appendices of the User Guide.
- 2019 SmartWay Multimodal Carrier Partner Tool: What's New in This Version - U.S. Version 2.0.18 (Data Year 2018) (PDF)(3 pp, 179 K, May 2019, EPA-420-F-19-044)
Version 2.0.18 of the Multimodal Carrier Tool contains several updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.17. These updates have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity, and accuracy of the Tool. This document summarizes those changes.
- 2019 SmartWay Multimodal Carrier Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide (26 pp, 799 K, May 2019, EPA-420-B-19-024)
Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you’ll need to complete it. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information, which you’ll want to complete before opening the tool.
- 2019 SmartWay Multimodal Carrier Partner Tool: User Guide (39 pp, 1 MB, May 2019, EPA-420-B-19-025) This document gives you a more detailed overview of the tool and what you will need to complete it. Be sure to review the handy worksheets for collecting the necessary information for your company’s tool submission in the appendices before downloading and using the tool.
- 2019 SmartWay Logistics, Multimodal, and Shipper Partner Tools: Guide to Importing Carrier Data Using the Outside Data Import Function - U.S. Version 2.0.18 (Data Year 2018) (PDF)(28 pp, 1 MB, May 2019, EPA-420-B-19-023)
For those selecting the outside data import option to upload carrier activity data, this detailed guide tells you how to create a file that contains your company’s in-house carrier data in SmartWay’s prescribed format, thereby reducing the need to enter carrier activity data manually.
Submitting Your Multimodal Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Multimodal Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both a .xls file and a .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Partner Ranking Data
- EPA refreshes the performance ranking files every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay Program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
Optimizing fuel economy and operational efficiency is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Multimodal Carrier. Multimodal carriers have a variety of technology and operational strategies available to improve fuel efficiency and environmental performance. The best sources for the most up-to-date information about these strategies are your sector-based professional associations.
Professional Association Links
- American Trucking Associations (ATA) Exit is a trade association for the trucking industry, providing education on highway safety, security, environmental sustainability, and other issues.
- The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) Exit is a trade association for individuals that own and operate independent trucking businesses.
- American Waterways Operators (AWO) Exit is a national trade organization for U.S. tugboat, towboat and barge operators on the rivers, coasts, Great Lakes, and harbors of the United States.
- Waterways Council, Inc. (WCI) Exit educates policy-makers in the nation’s capital and around the country, in the news media, and the general public about the waterways systems’ critical importance
- The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Exit provides education, research, connections, and professional growth for supply chain professionals.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Feature Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (email@example.com) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.