Apply for 2018 WasteWise Awards
WasteWise Partner and Endorser awards are based on data reported in the SMM Data Management SystemExit (partners and endorsers) and a narrative description of activities (endorsers only). In addition to reported data or narrative description of activities, winners are selected based on results of both civil and criminal enforcement screens and other qualitative factors. To be eligible for awards, both partners and endorsers must have submitted 2017 annual data and 2018 annual goals by March 31, 2018. Award applications are due by April 30, 2018.
On this page:
- Partner Awards
- Endorser Awards
Partner awards will be given based on data reported. "Partner of the Year" awards will be given in multiple sector-based categories. Based on the application scores, "Honorable Mention" awards may also be given. Award categories are the same as in previous years and include the following:
|Partner Award Categories|
|Business||Very Large Business (20,000 + employees)
Large Business (1,000 to 19,999 employees)
Mid-size Business (500 to 999 employees)
Small Business (1 to 499 employees)
Partners can apply for awards until April 30, 2018. To apply for a 2018 WasteWise partner award, log onto your SMM Data Management SystemExit account and fill out and submit a “Partner of the Year” award application form.
EPA will use the partner's 2016 and 2017 reported data to evaluate 2018 awards. Quantitative results from reported data for waste prevention (WP), recycling (R), and disposal (D) will serve as the key elements for award evaluations. The following weighted criteria will be aggregated and used in evaluating award applications:
- Annual Improvement in 2017 (20 percent): Percent of incremental improvement of waste diversion (waste prevention + recycling) in 2017 versus 2016
- Overall Performance in 2017 (40 percent): Percent that waste diversion plays in the overall management of materials
- Waste Prevention Performance in 2017 (40 percent): Percent that waste prevention plays in overall management of materials
Endorser awards recognize outstanding efforts to promote WasteWise as a means to help organizations reduce waste and promote overall sustainable materials management. An "Endorser of the Year" award will be given. Depending on the number of award applications, an Honorable Mention award may also be given. Endorsers are asked to submit a narrative of up to five pages describing their endorser activities during calendar year 2017 and fill out and submit an on-line award application.
Endorsers can apply for awards until April 30, 2018. To apply for a 2018 WasteWise Endorser award, log onto your SMM Data Management SystemExit account and fill out and submit an Endorser award application. In addition, please e-mail your narrative to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only endorsers that submit 2017 annual data and 2018 annual goals through the SMM Data Management System will be considered eligible for a 2018 Endorser award. Narrative applications must be five pages or less. (Note: Narrative applications greater than five pages will not be considered.) You will receive a confirmation e-mail once your application materials have been received.
EPA will use the endorser’s 2017 reported data and the submitted narrative as evaluation criteria for awards. The endorser award applications will be evaluated based on a weighted average of the following criteria:
- Promotional Activities (50 percent)
- Scope of Activities: Describe the range of activities conducted in 2017 by your organization to promote WasteWise, including information on the creativity and effectiveness of promotional methods
- Frequency of Efforts: Describe efforts conducted in 2017 to promote WasteWise
- Promotional Results (50 percent)
- Quantify the type and number of WasteWise prospective partners that resulted from your promotional efforts in 2017
- Quantify the number of new partners who joined WasteWise as a result of your promotional efforts in 2017
- Quantify the number of new or existing WasteWise partners that you assisted with tracking and/or reporting in 2017