The three strategic priorities chosen as the focus of the Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Program for Fiscal Years 2017 to 2022 present significant opportunities for environmental, economic and social results. The strategic priority areas include 1) The Built Environment; 2) Sustainable Food Management; and 3) Sustainable Packaging. Work under each of these areas will support the four primary SMM program objectives to.
- Decrease the disposal rate, which includes source reduction, reuse, recycling and prevention;
- Reduce the environmental impacts of materials across their life cycle;
- Increase socio-economic benefits; and
- Increase the capacity of state and local governments, communities and key stakeholders to adopt and implement SMM policies, practices and incentives.
The specific activities provided as examples under each strategic priority area in the strategic plan are only a sampling of potential efforts, and may evolve based on program transition efforts in Fiscal Years 2016 and 2017.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Program Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2017 - 2022 (PDF)(8 pp, 602 K, October 2015)