Superfund Site Reuse "How-To" Reports
The reports on this page provide technical information on how sites with hazardous waste have been safely reused for various purposes, such as recreation, while ensuring that the protectiveness of the remedy is maintained. You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Agricultural Land Uses at Superfund Sites: Planting a Sustainable Future (PDF)(12 pp, 3.9 MB)
This report provides information about the safe and appropriate reuse of Superfund sites for a variety of diverse agricultural uses.
- Commercial Use Where Waste is Left on Site (PDF) (12 pp, 3.9 MB)
This document provides technical information on how sites with hazardous waste have been safely reused for commercial purposes, while ensuring that the protectiveness of the remedy is maintained.
- Pilot Framework for Integrating Community Health and Wellness into the Superfund Reuse Assessment Process (PDF)(46 pp, 13 MB)
This report summarizes a pilot framework for integrating health, prevention and wellness considerations during the Superfund reuse assessment process, and for facilitating identification of possible reasonably anticipated future land uses (RAFLUs).
- Process for Risk Evaluation, Property Analysis and Reuse Decisions (PREPARED) Workbook (Municipal Acquisition Handbook) (PDF)(212 pp, 6.4 MB)
This document guides local decision makers through a step-by-step process for determining how to facilitate reuse of contaminated properties by considering acquisition and non-acquisition property recovery actions.
- Recreational Opportunities at Abandoned Mine Lands (PDF)(13 pp, 1.1 MB)
This fact sheet provides information about recreational reuse for all stakeholders and community members interested in creating recreational opportunities at nearby abandoned mine lands.
- Recreational Reuse of Land Above Hazardous Waste Containment Areas (PDF)(73 pp, 1.6 MB)
- Appendices (PDF)(23 pp, 542 K)
- Renewable and Alternative Energy at Superfund Sites: Harnessing New Sources of Power (PDF)(16 pp, 4.8 MB)
This report provides technical information and case studies illustrating the many opportunities for implementing renewable and alternative energy projects at Superfund sites.
- Reuse Opportunities at Capped Superfund Sites (PDF)(28 pp, 5.1 MB)
This report discusses leading examples of capped-area reuses across the country, highlighting recent trends and key factors and considerations that make these uses possible.
- Reusing Cleaned Up Superfund Sites: Golf Facilities Where Waste is Left on Site (PDF)(73 pp, 2.1 MB)
This report provides technical information useful in planning, designing, and building golf facilities on sites where the remedy calls for on-site containment of contaminated material.