This Guide to Preparing Superfund Proposed Plans, Records of Decision, and Other Remedy Selection Decision Documents (also commonly referred to as the "ROD Guidance") has been developed to accomplish the following:
- Provide recommended formats and content for Superfund remedial action decision documents;
- Clarify roles and responsibilities of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal facilities, States, and Indian Tribes in developing and issuing decision documents;
- Clarify roles and responsibilities of stakeholders in the remedy selection process; and
- Explain how to address changes made to proposed and selected remedies.
The decision documents addressed by this guidance are the Proposed Plan, the Records of Decision (ROD), the Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD), and the ROD Amendment. Section 117 of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act of 1980 (CERCLA), as amended by the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA), requires the issuance of decision documents for remedial actions taken pursuant to Sections 104, 106, 120, and 122. Sections 300.430(f)(2), 300.430(f)(4) and 300.435(c)(2) of the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan (NCP) establish the regulatory requirements for these decision documents. This guidance document provides additional guidelines and is based upon the Superfund statute and regulations.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Guide to Preparing Superfund Proposed Plans, Records of Decision, and Other Remedy Selection Decision Documents (PDF)(182 pp, 2 MB, July 1999, OSWER 9200.1-23P)