Sustainable Watersheds and Nutrient Pollution
EPA develops the models and tools needed to achieve sustainable solutions for managing nutrients in our watersheds – from freshwater streams to marine coastal environments.
- Identify the appropriate nutrient levels for waterbodies and use those levels as targets for resource protection and nutrient reductions
- Use new technologies to monitor nutrient levels and water quality
- Evaluate the public health and environmental effects originating from waters with excess nitrogen and phosphorus
- Predict how management decisions and future climate change impacts will alter nutrient levels and affect aquatic ecosystems
- Assess the effectiveness of a range of management practices for achieving sustainable reductions in nutrient pollution of water resources