An official website of the United States government.


Homes Transition

Labeled homes banner

Transition to WaterSense Labeled Homes Program, Version 2

WaterSense released Version 2.0 of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program in February 2021.  EPA previously released the WaterSense Home Certification System, Version 1.3, which established the necessary certification infrastructure to operate Version 2 of the WaterSense Labeled Homes Program. Learn more about how EPA is managing the transition:

What should you do?

  • Builders— As of January 1, 2021, builder partners will need to use a WaterSense home verifier in accordance with the current Certification System (Version 2.0). Builders should contract directly with a verifier or approved Home Certification Organization (HCO), depending on the business relationship. You can also speak to your existing rating company or certification/verification provider to see if they support WaterSense certification. 
    • While Version 2.0 of the specification offers builders more flexibility, builders may continue to pursue certification using the WaterSense New Home Specification, Version 1.2 for any projects with permits issued by June 30, 2021. Certification of these homes must be finalized by December 31, 2021.
  • Interested WaterSense Home Certification Organization (HCO)Organizations interested in becoming a WaterSense HCO should review the requirements of the WaterSense Home Certification System and submit an application (DOC)
  • Interested WaterSense Home Verifiers —If you are interested in becoming a WaterSense home verifier, you will need to be trained by an approved HCO
  • Licensed Certification Providers or Water Efficiency Inspectors (or "WaterSense raters") - You should have already coordinated this transition with RESNET. However, if you have not, contact RESNET for more information.  Please note: EPA dissolved its partnership with Licensed Certification Provders as of December 31, 2020. 

If you have any questions about the WaterSense labeled homes program or about this transition, please contact the WaterSense helpline.