Application Process Overview
The WIFIA application process is three phases.
Phase 1: Project Selection: EPA announces the amount of funding it will have available and solicits letters of interest from prospective borrowers. In the letter of interest, prospective borrowers demonstrate their projects eligibility, financial creditworthiness, engineering feasibility, and alignment with EPA’s policy priorities. Based on this information, EPA selects projects which it intends to fund and invites them to continue to the application process.
Phase 2: Project Approval: Each invitee must apply for WIFIA credit assistance. Using this information, the WIFIA program conducts a detailed financial and engineering review of the project. Based on that review, the WIFIA program proposes terms and conditions for the project and negotiates them with the applicant until they develop a mutually agreeable term sheet. The Administrator demonstrates project approval by executing the project’s term sheet.
Phase 3: Negotiation and Closing: Based on the term sheet, the WIFIA program finalizes the terms of credit assistance to the applicant. At closing, the Administrator (or his designee) and the prospective borrower execute the credit agreement, which is the binding legal document that allows the borrower to receive WIFIA funds.
For more details on the application process, see the WIFIA Program Handbook.
Notice of Funding Availability
- Provide for clean and safe drinking water, including reducing exposure to lead in the nation’s drinking water systems; and
- Repair, rehabilitate, and replace aging infrastructure and conveyance systems.
Prospective borrowers must submit a letter of interest for their project to the WIFIA program by July 31, 2018. In the letter of interest, the prospective borrower provides information to demonstrate its projects eligibility, financial creditworthiness, engineering feasibility, and alignment with EPA’s policy priorities. If EPA selects the projects, then the prospective borrower is invited to submit an application. EPA will only select projects that it expects might reasonably proceed to closing.
WIFIA Letter of Interest Form
- WIFIA Letter of Interest (WORD)(20 pp, 82 K)
WIFIA Letter of Interest Frequent Questions
WIFIA Letter of Interest Checklist
Sample Letter of Interest
- Sample WIFIA Letter of Interest (WORD)(25 pp, 102 K)
Sample Financial Pro Forma
WIFIA Application Form
- Example of WIFIA letter to Governors (April 4, 2018) (PDF)(1 pg, 252 K)
- Example of WIFIA letter to Governors (May 15, 2018) (PDF)(1 pg, 239 K)
- Example of WIFIA letter to Tribal Leaders (May 15, 2018) (PDF)(1 pg, 234 K)
- WIFIA Letter of Interest Frequent Questions (PDF)(5 pp, 148 K, Updated April 4, 2018)
- WIFIA Letter of Interest Checklist (PDF)(2 pp, 382 K)
- Sample Financial Pro Forma (PDF)(1 pg, 82 K)
- WIFIA Application (PDF)(14 pp, 253 K)