Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP)
The Global Methane Initiative is an international initiative that advances cost-effective, near-term methane recovery and use as a clean energy source.
The Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP) is a voluntary program whose goal is to reduce methane emissions from coal mining activities. Our mission is to promote the profitable recovery and use of coal mine methane (CMM), a greenhouse gas more than 20 times as potent as carbon dioxide. By working cooperatively with coal companies and related industries, CMOP helps to address barriers to using CMM instead of emitting it to the atmosphere. In turn, these actions mitigate climate change, improve mine safety and productivity, and generate revenues and cost savings.
The following links provide more information on CMOP:
- Basic Information — Learn more about methane emissions from coal mining and how CMOP is working collaboratively with industry and other government organizations to reduce emissions.
- Accomplishments — Learn more about CMOP and the U.S. coal industry's successes in reducing emissions of coal mine methane, promoting recovery of ventilation air methane, and promoting capture and use of abandoned mine methane.
- Network Contacts — Find companies and individuals with specialized expertise related to coalbed methane and coal mine methane resource assessment and development.
- Join the Network — Add your organization to our Network Contacts list and sign up to receive weekly and quarterly CMOP-related news via e-mail.
- Documents, Tools, and Resources — Find publications and technical tools that provide information on methane emissions from coal mines, describe available technical options for methane capture and use, evaluate market opportunities, and describe recent CMM developments in the U.S. and abroad.
- Workshops and Conferences — Learn more about past and upcoming events and activities.
- International Activities — Learn more about how CMOP works through the Global Methane Initiative to promote CMM development and use in many coal-producing countries around the world.
- For information on ways to mitigate methane emissions from coal mining, please visit http://www.epa.gov/coalbed/resources/index.html.