Midwest Clean Diesel Initiative
Air and Radiation Division
77 W. Jackson Blvd. (A-18J)
Chicago, IL 60604
News and Highlights
- 2012 MCDI Spring Conference presentations
- EPA announces $20 million in funding available through the National Clean Diesel Campaign. Request For Proposals closes June 4, 2012
- FY2011 MCDI Clean Diesel Grants
- September 2011 MCDI e-Update
- MNRiskS Multipollutant Risk Screening Tool webinar presentation now available on our Webinars page
Effect since MCDI started
Over 1,000,000 engines* impacted (December 2010)
*construction equipment, locomotives, municipal vehicles, school buses, transit buses, heavy-duty trucks, cargo handling equipment, marine vessels, and more.
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Region 5 State Activities
State clean diesel programs, including each state's request for applications for ARRA state allocation funding (where applicable).
- Illinois Green Fleets
- Indiana Diesel Wise
- Michigan Clean Diesel Initiative
- Minnesota Grants & Financial Assistance for Clean Diesel Projects
- Ohio Clean Diesel School Bus Fund Retrofit Grants Program
- Wisconsin Clean Diesel Grants
What is the Midwest Clean Diesel Initiative?
The Midwest Clean Diesel Initiative is a collaboration of federal, state and local agencies, along with communities, non-profit organizations and private companies working together to reduce emissions from diesel engines in the Midwest.
We estimate there are approximately 3.3 million diesel-powered engines in the Midwest that we can affect through voluntary action. We have set an ambitious goal to reduce emissions from 1 million diesel-powered engines by 2010.
Midwest Clean Diesel Initiative will do this through operational changes, technological improvements and use of cleaner fuels. The Initiative also supports EPA Region 5 state clean diesel coalitions in order to foster clean diesel activities that reduce fuel use and emissions. Together, we target diesel engines across all fleets.