Global Change Impacts & Adaptation
Integrated Climate and Land Use Scenarios (ICLUS)
The EPA Global Change Research Program's Integrated Climate and Land Use Scenarios (ICLUS) project is developing scenarios broadly consistent with global-scale, peer-reviewed storylines of population growth and economic development, which are used by climate change modelers to develop projections of future climate.
Climate change and land-use change are global drivers of environmental change. Impact assessments frequently show that interactions between climate and land-use changes can create serious challenges for aquatic ecosystems, water quality, and air quality. In many cases, it is impossible to determine the impact of climate change without consideration of land use and land cover dynamics.
Sign up to receive periodic updates on the ICLUS project.
Podcast at EPAYou will need media player or music player software to play these podcasts if your computer does not already include one. Depending on your computer, you can download free players from various places. One example is Windows Media Player® .
Read the ICLUS podcast transcript (PDF) (2 pp, 70K, About PDF)
2. The ICLUS tools for ArcGIS will allow users to:
- Customize housing density patterns by altering household size and travel time assumptions.
- Reclassify housing density into classes different than those already provided.
- Generate a map of estimated impervious surface based on a housing density map
|Jan 2009||EPA partners with USGS to develop a geoprocessing tool.|
|Jun 2009||EPA released the related report, Land-Use Scenarios: National-Scale Housing-Density Scenarios Consistent with Climate Change Storylines (Final Report).|
|Nov 2009||EPA released the ICLUS User's Manual and Tool (External Review Draft) for public review and comment. [Federal Register Dec 8, 2009]|
|Sep 2010||EPA released ICLUS v1.3 and the final user's manual document|
|Jan 2012:||EPA released the ICLUS Data for National Climate Assessments|
- Projecting Future-Year Pollutant Emissions: Emerging Approaches from the EPA ORD Global Change Air Quality Assessment. In Proceedings, 16th Annual International Emissions Inventory Conference, Raleigh, NC, May 14 - 17, 2007.
- National housing and impervious surface scenarios for integrated climate impact assessments (PDF) (6 pp, 1.03MB, About PDF) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107(49): 20887-20892. (2010)
- Climate Change-Related Temperature Impacts on Warm Season Heat Mortality: A Proof-of-Concept Methodology Using BenMAP. (PDF) (8 pp, 1.36MB, About PDF) Environ. Sci. Technol., 2011, 45 (4), pp 1450-1457. DOI: 10.1021/es102820y. (2011)
- Observing, studying, and managing for change - Proceedings of the Fourth Interagency Conference on Research in the Watersheds (PDF) (22 pp, 2.77MB, About PDF) U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2011-5169, p. 142-147. (2011)