- Chicago, IL (Cook County)
- EPA ID# ILD051053692
- CERCLIS listing
- Alias(es): Celotex Corp.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Remedial Project Manager
Chicago Park District
(where to view written records)
Chicago Public Library
Rudy Lozano Branch
1805 S. Loomis Street
Chicago, IL 60608
The EPA ovesaw the cleanup of the Celotex site and residential properties near it between 2002 and 2009. In 2009 the City of Chicago signed an agreement with U.S. EPA and the U.S. Department of Justice agreeing to enhance the cleanup and develop the Celotex site as a public park using certain sustainable development practices. The agreement gave the city protection from potential liability for the contamination at the property. This paved the way for the sale of the site to the city of Chicago. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In December 2014 the Chicago Park District had a ribbon-cutting ceremony to announce the opening of La Villita Park on the former Celotex site. During the Celotex site cleanup, U.S. EPA asked Little Village residents for input on future use. Today, the vision the community expressed throughout the cleanup has become a reality.
The City of Chicago and CPD worked closely with the Little Village Environmental Justice Organization and U.S. EPA on plans for the 21.42-acre park at the site. LVEJO and area residents gave input on design ideas and submitted a request to name the park “La Villita Park.”
With the insistent determination of community groups like LVEJO and other dedicated members of the Little Village community, this previously contaminated property is now a beautiful green space for the community to use.
Letters to Residents
- Proposed Agreement Between EPA and the City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Regarding the Celotex Site (October 10, 2008)
- Acuerdo propuesto entre la EPA y la ciudad de Chicago y el Distrito de Parques de Chicago con Respecto al Sitio de Celotex (10 de octubre del 2008)
- Proposed Soil Excavation Schedule Little Village Neighborhood (PDF) (1 pg, 30K) Map
- Residential Soil Cleanup - Phase I Area Near the former Celotex Site - Chicago, Illinois July 2007 (PDF) (1pg, 283K)
- Limpieza Residencial de Terreno - Área Fase I Cerca del sitio anteriormente conocido como Celotex - Chicago, Illinois Julio del 2007 (PDF) (1pg, 51K)
- La Agencia de Protección Ambiental (EPA) y Honeywell estarán
tomando muestras de tierra en muchas de las yardas en hogares de La
Villita durante el verano del
- Carta a los Residentes (PDF) (1pg, 200K)
- Mapa del área donde se toman las muestras de tierra (PDF) (1pg, 284K)
- US EPA and Honeywell are sampling residential soil in many homes in the Little Village neighborhood during summer and fall of 2006
Honeywell prepared these informational flyers
- La Villita Park Opens at Former Celotex Site (PDF)(26pp,207K) January 2015
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan; Requests Public Comment (PDF) (6pp, 345K) October 2004
- Plan de limpieza propuesto por la EPA; Solicitud de comentarios del público (PDF) (6pp, 360K) Octubre 2004
- Contaminated Soil Handling and Engineered Barrier Management Plan (PDF) (19pp, 3.2MB) October 14, 2013
- Pollution Report (PDF) (3pp, 161K) February 4, 2010
- Pollution Report (PDF) (3pp, 118K) September 18, 2009
- Pollution Report (PDF) (5pp, 268K) October 2, 2008
- Revised Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (40pp, 576K) 2007
- Agreement And Covenant Not to Sue City of Chicago or Chicago Park District (PDF) (94 pp, 16.5 MB) March 2009
- PPA Exhibit 3: Institutional Controls (PDF) (18pp, 907K) September 2008
- PPA Exhibit 4: Administrative Settlement (PDF) (48pp, 2.5MB) September 2008
- EPA accepted comments on the proposed Prospective Purchaser Agreement (PPA) for the Celotex Site through November 12, 2008.
- EPA held a public meeting November 9, 2004, to explain its recommended cleanup plan, answer questions, and accept comments. The comments period ran from October 26 to November 26, 2004.