Underground Injection Control (UIC)
The UIC program works where you live to ensure that the underground disposal of wastes through injection wells is done safely and does not endanger drinking water sources.
- Region 5 UIC Public Notices
- UIC Permit Applications Received in Region 5
- Contact Region 5 or a state agency
- Sign up to a UIC mailing list for notice of pending actions on EPA permitting of underground injection wells in Region 5.
Recent UIC Well Actions
- EPA proposes to modify the Class II permit previously granted to NuEnergy Operating, Inc. of Gaylord Michigan. The modification will allow NuEnergy to inject waste fluid underground at a greater pressure. EPA is accepting written comments on the proposed modification until Tuesday, August 5, 2014.
- EPA proposes to modify the Land Ban Exemption previously granted to Warner-Lambert Company in Holland, Michigan. The modification will allow Warner-Lambert to inject additional types of waste fluid into three existing Class I injection wells. EPA is accepting written comments on the proposed modification until Thursday, July 31, 2014.
- EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit to Summit Petroleum Corp. for a well in Isabella County, Mich. and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit until Tuesday, June 24, 2014.
- SJX, LLC of Clare County, Mich., Adler D2-33 EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit until Monday, June 16.
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM ) of Decatur. EPA plans to issue a permit for ADM’s CCS#2 Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration well in Macon County, Illinois (April 2014)
- BreitBurn Operating Company - EPA plans to issue a Class II injection well permit to BreitBurn Operating Company and is accepting written comments on the proposed permit until Tuesday, May 13.
- Haystead #9, West Bay Exploration Co. - EPA posts response to comments and final permit for West Bay Exploration Co.’s Haystead #9 SWD injection well near Brooklyn, Mich
- FutureGen 2.0 of Jacksonville, Ill. – EPA issued draft permits for FutureGen Industrial Alliance’s four Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration wells in Morgan County Illinois on March 31, 2014
- EPA's plans to re-issue Martin Marietta Magnesia Specialties, LLC's two Class V injection well permits in Mason County, Mich.
- EPA Region 5 has issued written approval to Environmental Geo-Technologies (EGT) giving authorization to inject waste into two Class I wells (November 12, 2013).
- Haystead #9, West Bay Exploration Co. - EPA posts transcript from public hearing for West Bay Exploration Co.’s request for a permit for the Haystead #9 SWD injection well near Brooklyn, Mich.
- West Bay Class II Injection Well - EPA is withdrawing the final permit issued for the West Bay #22 well. EPA will prepare a new draft permit for this well. EPA is taking this action under 40 CFR 124.19(j) which allows EPA to withdraw a permit and prepare a new draft permit before a certain stage of the permit appeal proceedings.
Injection Well Practices
- Underground Injection Wells in Region 5
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Carbon Sequestration
- Aquifer Recharge & Aquifer Storage and Recovery
- Class V Wells
- Controlling Injection Wells on Tribal Lands
- Technical Information, Forms, & Sample Documents (includes Guidance; Training Tools; Permitting Documents)
- Ensure Your Well Has Adequate Financial Assurance
- Motor Vehicle Waste Disposal Well Closure Initiative
- Testing Your Well for Mechanical Integrity
- Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
- Frequently Asked Questions About the UIC Program
- Glossary of UIC Terms
- Regional UIC Environmental Appeals Board Decisions
- Regional Land Ban Exemptions From Hazardous Waste Disposal Restrictions
- National Technical Workgroup