All News Releases By Date
Alaska Developer to Pay over $27,000 for Alleged Violations of the Federal Clean Water Act
Release Date: 05/12/2008
Contact Information: Chae Park, Compliance & Enforcement, (206) 553-1441, email@example.com or Tony Brown, Public Affairs, (206) 553-1203, firstname.lastname@example.org
(Kenai Peninsula, Alaska – May 12, 2008) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has reached a settlement with Paul Sayer (Sayer) for alleged violations of the federal Clean Water Act (CWA). The violations occurred at Sayer’s 5.5 acre construction site located along Sayer Road and North Fork Road in Anchor Point, Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. Sayer has agreed to pay $27,600.
EPA alleges that Sayer violated the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), by not obtaining a Storm Water Construction General Permit (CGP). Permit authorization is required for discharges of storm water from any construction site with at least one acre of disturbed land. Violations included:
- Numerous Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) violations; and
- Failure to obtain the necessary NPDES CGP permits.
“Storm water runoff from construction sites can significantly harm water quality and fish habitat,” said Marcia Combes, Alaska Operations Office Director for EPA. “NPDES permits are in place to make sure that developers and property owners are taking the necessary steps to keep pollutants out of our navigable waters.”
The receiving water for the storm water discharges from the Site is Ruby Creek. Ruby Creek is a tributary of Anchor River. Ruby Creek and Anchor River are “navigable waters” and are waters of the United States.
The NPDES permit program, established under the CWA, controls water pollution by regulating sources that discharge pollutants to waters in the United States.
For more about EPA’s storm water discharge permitting program, visit: http://cfpub1.epa.gov/npdes/home.cfm?program_id=6
Search this collection of releases | or search all news releases
View selected historical press releases from 1970 to 1998 in the EPA History website.