All News Releases By Date
Industri-plex Superfund Site Comment Period Extended to Aug. 31
Release Date: 07/13/2005
Contact: David Deegan (firstname.lastname@example.org), EPA Office of Public Affairs, (617) 918-1017
For Immediate Release: July 15, 2005; Release # dd050710
Boston - EPA today announced that it will extend the public comment period on the proposed cleanup for the Industri-plex Superfund Site Operable Unit 2 (including Wells G&H Superfund Site Operable Unit 3) in Woburn, Mass. to Aug. 31. This decision was made in response to a request from a citizens group. The public hearing is still scheduled for July 27, 2005 at 7:00 pm. at the Shamrock Elementary School, 60 Green Street in Woburn.
At a June 30, 2005 public information meeting in Woburn, Mass., EPA and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection discussed the details of the proposed cleanup plan which includes:
- Dredging, off-site disposal and restoration of contaminated sediments in the southern portion of the Halls Brook Holding Area Pond (approximately 6,200 cubic yards) and the near shore sediments at the Wells G&H Wetland and Cranberry Bog Conservation Area (2,300 cubic yards). The disturbed areas will be restored.
- The northern portion of the Halls Brook Holding Area Pond will be incorporated into the cleanup plan and serve as a sediment retention area to minimize the downstream migration of metals. The northern portion will be separated from the southern portion by various cofferdams, and make use of natural processes already taking place in the Pond to reduce contaminants. Sediments will be periodically dredged and sent off-site for disposal. The loss of wetlands will be compensated elsewhere in the watershed.
- Capping and stabilizing sediments along an approximate 1,000 linear foot section of the New Boston Street drainway with an impermeable cap. The loss of wetlands will be compensated elsewhere in the watershed.
- Capping and stabilizing soils adjacent to the NSTAR rights of way and MBTA rights of way with a permeable cap.
- Establishing institutional controls to ensure no one comes into contact with soils, groundwater, or deeper wetland sediments above cleanup standards.
- Monitoring the groundwater, surface water and sediments.
EPA is accepting public comment from July 1 through Aug. 31, 2005. All comments will be considered in preparing a final decision for the site. To provide formal comments, you may offer oral comments during the public hearing or send written comments postmarked no later than August 31, 2005 to:
- Joseph F. LeMay
1 Congress St., Suite 1100 (HBO)
Boston, MA 02114
- Woburn Public Library
45 Pleasant St.
Winchester Public Library
80 Washington St.
EPA Records Center
1 Congress St.
(617) 918 - 1440 (please call to make an appointment)
Industri-Plex Fact Sheet
Superfund in New England
Search this collection of releases | or search all news releases
View selected historical press releases from 1970 to 1998 in the EPA History website.