All News Releases By Date
EPA Opens Environmental Reporting Hotline
Release Date: 02/03/1997
Contact Information: Janine Burke, Assistance and Pollution Prevention, (617)918-1725
BOSTON -- The New England office of the Environmental Protection Agency is opening a 24-hour toll-free hotline that allows people to anonymously report non-emergency environmental violations to the federal government for response.
The line, 1(888)EPA-TIPS, is staffed by EPA employees between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and via an answering service after business hours.
- Smoke or strong odors from industrial facilities
- Tampering with waste treatment control systems
- Improper treatment, storage, or disposal of hazardous wastes
- Any unpermitted industrial activity
- Late night dumping or any criminal activity including falsifying reports or other documents.
- Reportable problems may include:
Forenvironmental emergencies, such as oil and chemical spills, radiological and biological discharges, or accidents causing releases of pollutants, call 1(800)424-8802.
Search this collection of releases | or search all news releases
View selected historical press releases from 1970 to 1998 in the EPA History website.