Federal Resources for Environmental Justice
Check out these other federal resources for communities.
Resources from the EJ IWG
Federal Agency Resources for Communities
- The Guide to Finding Federal Assistance and Resources for Environmental Justice Efforts offers general guidance and tips on searching for funding opportunities, as well as information on tools, trainings and other relevant resources that are available to help address community needs. This guide is also translated into Spanish.
- The Community Guide to Environmental Justice and NEPA Methods provides information for communities who want to assure that their environmental justice (EJ) issues are adequately considered when there is a federal agency action that may involve environmental impacts on minority populations, low-income populations, and/or Indian tribes and indigenous communities.
- The Community-Based Federal Environmental Justice Guide includes programs within agencies that may assist communities in reducing toxic exposures. The program may provide technical assistance, federal funding or a combination of both technical assistance and federal funding. Through this and other efforts, federal agencies are recommitting to improving the health and sustainability of communities across America.
- For guidance on how federal agencies, industry, and Indian tribes can work collaboratively and effectively prior to the submission of applications that will need to go through the Section 106 process of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), please visit Early Coordination with Indian Tribes during Pre-application Process: A Handbook. Concurrent with the development of the handbook, an online, on-demand eLearning course, Early Coordination with Indian Tribes for Infrastructure Projects was launched in July 2019.
- Here are federal resources regarding the protection of Indian Sacred Sites: U.S. Forest Service’s Office of Tribal Relations - Sacred Sites, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation - Sacred Sites, Department of Justice Sacred Sites Training video, along with the 2016 Sacred Sites MOU (PDF) (8 pp, 184 K) and the 2012 Sacred Sites MOU (PDF) (4 pp, 361 K).
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) EJ Resource Compendium – a compendium created by EPA’s Office of Environmental Justice and the EJ IWG NEPA Committee that gathers publically available information from Federal Agencies on the intersection of environmental justice and NEPA into one place.
- Learn more about NEPA.
- The Factsheet on the EJ IWG's Impacts from Commercial Transportation Committee, which contains valuable information on the partnering agencies and the work that the committee is doing to advance environmental justice in the goods movement-related sector.
- , created by the EJ IWG’s Impacts from Commercial Transportation Committee, contains federal memorandums, policies, executive orders, guidance, and statues on goods movement-related programs and resources. The compendium identifies the tools which can be used to mitigate externalities related to goods movement.
- Learn more about resources for Creating Healthy, Sustainable, and Equitable Communities