Research Centers, Programs, and Science Advisory Organizations
EPA's Office of Research and Development Research Centers develop knowledge, assessments, and scientific tools that form the underpinnings of the vast majority of EPA's protective standards and guidance.
- Office of Science Advisor, Policy, and Engagement (OSAPE)
- Center for Environmental Measurement and Modeling (CEMM)
- Center for Computational Toxicology and Exposure (CCTE)
- Center for Public Health and Environmental Assessment (CPHEA)
- Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER)
Six programs engage with outside partners and EPA programs and offices to identify the research priorities that are important for achieving EPA’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Air, Climate, and Energy Research Program
- Chemical Safety for Sustainability Research Program
- Health and Environmental Risk Assessment Program
- Homeland Security Research Program
- Safe and Sustainable Water Resources Research Program
- Sustainable and Healthy Communities Research Program
Program Office Laboratories
These labs directly support regulatory implementation, compliance, and enforcement at a national level. For example, the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory performs motor vehicle standards testing.
- Office of Air and Radiation labs and research centers:
National Enforcement Investigations Center (NEIC)
These labs provide scientific data that support the Regional environmental programs' needs for immediate information to make decisions.
- Region 1's New England Regional Laboratory
- Region 2's Laboratory at EPA's Edison (New Jersey) Environmental Center
- Region 3's Laboratory and Field Services at EPA's Environmental Science Center
- Region 4’s Laboratory Services and Applied Science Division
- Region 5's Chicago Regional Laboratory
- Region 6's Environmental Services Branch Laboratory
- Region 7's Science and Technology Center
- Region 8's Central Regional Laboratory
- Region 9's Central Regional Laboratory
- Region 10's Manchester Environmental Laboratory