EPA's Office of Inspector General
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, with the exception of our hotline and certain law enforcement functions, is closed due to the federal government shutdown. While the EPA has announced that most of its offices will be open at least through January 26, 2018, the OIG is independent of the agency and has a separate appropriation. We have determined that, absent an appropriation or continuing resolution, we must shut down. This website will not be monitored or updated until full operations resume. The OIG hotline may be reached toll-free at 888-546-8740 and via email at OIG_Hotline@epa.gov. Additional information is available on our website at https://www.epa.gov/oig/hotline.html#file_now.
- Report and Podcast: EPA Has Not Reported to Congress on BEACH Act Progress as Statutorily Required or Fully Documented Budget Decisions
- Report: Inconsistencies With EPA Policy Identified in Region 10's Biweekly Pay Cap Waiver Process
- Notification: Audit of EPA's Adherence to Policies, Procedures and Oversight Controls Pertaining to the Administrator's Travel (3rd notification)
- Public Job Openings in the EPA's Office of Inspector General
What is the EPA OIG?
- We are an independent office within EPA that helps the agency protect the environment in a more efficient and cost effective manner.
- We perform audits, evaluations, and investigations of EPA and its contractors, to promote economy and efficiency, and to prevent and detect fraud, waste, and abuse.
- We strive to provide solutions to problems that ultimately result in making America a cleaner and healthier place.
OIG Independence of EPA
The EPA's Office of Inspector General is a part of EPA, although Congress provides our funding separate from the agency, to ensure our independence. We were created pursuant to the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended Exit.
- File an OIG Hotline Complaint
- Subscribe to the OIG
- Contact the OIG
- FOIA Requests
- OIG on Twitter
- OIG's RSS Feed