EPA's Office of Inspector General
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, with the exception of our hotline and certain law enforcement functions, is closed due to the federal government shutdown. While the EPA has announced that most of its offices will be open for a limited amount of time, the OIG is independent of the agency and has a separate appropriation. We have determined that, absent an appropriation or continuing resolution, we must shut down. This website will not be monitored or updated until full operations resume.
- Result of Investigation: [DOJ News Release] Appeals Court Upholds Scientists’ Fraud Convictions
- Result of Investigation: [DOJ News Release] Whiting Man Convicted After 4-Day Jury Trial
- Notification: EPA Actions to Address Air Toxics Emissions Through Its Residual Risk and Technology Review Program
- Annual Plan for Fiscal Year 2019
- EPA Update to OIG Report: "Management Weaknesses Delayed Response to Flint Water Crisis"
- Semiannual Report: April 1, 2018 - September 30, 2018
- EPA OIG Strategic Plan 2019-2023
- EPA OIG Podcasts: Listen to our staff talk about the EPA OIG’s latest audits and investigations, as well as related topics.
- The EPA OIG Organization Profile reflects organizational performance data including payroll statistics, ROI, recoveries, fines and the potential monetary benefits of our work.
- Public Job Openings in the EPA's Office of Inspector General
What is the EPA OIG?
- We are an independent office within the EPA that helps the agency protect the environment in a more efficient and cost effective manner.
- We perform audits and investigations of the EPA to promote economy and efficiency, and to prevent and detect fraud, waste and abuse.
- We strive to provide solutions to problems that ultimately result in making America a cleaner and healthier place.
OIG Independence of EPA
The EPA's Office of Inspector General is a part of the EPA, although Congress provides our funding separate from the agency, to ensure our independence. We were created pursuant to the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended Exit.
- Contact the OIG Hotline
- Subscribe to the OIG
- Contact the OIG
- FOIA Requests
- OIG on Twitter
- OIG's RSS Feed